Consulate attack suspect arrested

A 28-year-old Tunisian reportedly linked to the attack on the US consulate in Libya in which the American ambassador was killed has been arrested, the Tunisian government confirmed today.

A 28-year-old Tunisian reportedly linked to the attack on the US consulate in Libya in which the American ambassador was killed has been arrested, the Tunisian government confirmed today.

Tunisian Interior Ministry spokesman Tarrouch Khaled said Ali Harzi was in custody in Tunis.

Mr Khaled told The Associated Press “his case is in the hands of justice”. He did not elaborate.

In Washington, the State Department had no comment.

Earlier this month, Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said the US has been looking into the arrests of two Tunisian men being detained in Turkey reportedly in connection with attacks on a consulate in Libya last month.

Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died in the attack on the US diplomatic post in the Libyan city of Benghazi on September 11.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox