Own goal gives Derry the FAI Cup in extra time

Derry City 4 St. Patrick’s Athletic 3 (AET)

Derry City 4 St. Patrick’s Athletic 3 (AET)

Derry City came from behind three times to give former boss Stephen Kenny a fond farewell as Lansdowne Road played host to a thriller in the last football match at the venue in its current guise.

Sadly for St. Pat’s their season of promise comes to nothing as their 45-year wait for the FAI Cup continues. They also lose out on a place in the UEFA Cup and the Setanta Cup.

But what an end to a season for Derry who now add the FAI Cup to the League Cup they won back in September.

Despite the swirling wind and rain, the game sparked into life from the 19th minute as St. Pat’s, who had started the better, took the lead.

Paul Keegan, who was in an offside position, stepped out to allow Anto Murphy pass run through for the run of Dave Mulcahy.

The midfielder, on the Waterford team that lost the 2004 final to Longford, galloped through to chip the ball past David Forde.

The lead lasted just six minutes, however, as Derry levelled with a brilliantly contrived and executed goal.

Pat McCourt ghosted past two Saints’ players in a deep position before sending Mark Farren in on goal. And the striker raced between Stephen Brennan and Stephen Quigley before shooting home his sixth goal of the campaign off his left foot.

St. Pat’s regained the lead on 75 minutes, though. Peter Hutton needlessly tripped Trevor Molloy as he ran onto Michael Foley’s pass to concede a penalty. And Molloy was coolness personified from the spot, sidefooting past Forde.

But Derry hit back again on 85 minutes to force extra-time.

McCourt put a poor clearance from Killian Brennan’s free-kick back into the St. Pat’s box and Clive Delaney headed past Ryan.

Once again St. Pat’s took the lead when substitutes Sean O’Connor and Mark Quigley combined for the former to curl a delightful shot to the net on 103 minutes.

But Derry just wouldn’t lie down and poor defending from McCourt’s corner four minutes later allowed Hutton redeem himself to tap home from two yards.

Derry then won it on 110 minutes. Stephen Brennan’s mis-directed header from Killian Brennan’s corner was over the line before Michael Foley cleared and the cup was on its way to Foyleside.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox