Connacht beaten by less-than-perfect Glasgow

Glasgow Warriors 30 Connacht 9

Glasgow Warriors 30 Connacht 9

Glasgow stuttered to victory against the Magners League basement boys Connacht at rain-lashed Firhill.

But their sloppy performance just summed up their roller-coaster campaign as they had to rely on a late Hefin O’Hare double to make sure of the bonus award.

Glasgow held the upper hand during the jittery opening sparring session but they were unable to turn their superiority into a significant points advantage.

Colin Gregor edged them in front with a penalty from close range, only for Ian Keatley to reply in identical fashion from 45 metres at the other end.

Warriors surged ahead again with their first fluent attack with a fine try by Colin Shaw.

Connacht’s problems began when full-back Troy Nathan was yellow carded for deliberately palming a Graeme Morrison chip into touch.

From the set piece, Glasgow swung the ball across the field to Lome Fa’atau, whose grubber kick was perfectly weighted for Shaw to pounce.

The hosts continued to look the more potent outfit but their good work was spoiled by giving away a spate of penalties in their own half.

And Keatley punished them again by landing another penalty from a similar distance.

Warriors carved out plenty of chances before the break, but a combination of sloppy handling and stout Connacht defence gave the Irishmen the lead as Keatley completed his treble with the final strike of the half.

Glasgow prop Moray Low was lucky to stay in the fray just after the restart when he felled winger Fionn Carr with a hefty early challenge.

And there was a further let-off as Keatley’s penalty drifted past the far post.

Warriors’ good fortune continued when Gregor defied the elements to thump over a difficult kick at the other end.

But the scrum-half winced in frustration three minutes later when he squandered a much easier chance.

The contest was lit up midway through he half thanks to a moment of magic by O’Hare.

O’Hare marked the extension of his Glasgow contract by swerving past at least four defenders before squeezing over for a remarkable touchdown.

Low atoned for his earlier blunder by ploughing through for the third try, goaled by Gregor.

He added another when O’Hare again left the Connacht markers for dead to put a flattering complexion on the Glasgow tally.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox