RTÉ to take no further action on Joe Brolly

RTÉ won’t be taking any further action after Joe Brolly apologised for his derogatory comment about commentator Marty Morrissey on The Sunday Game Live yesterday.

RTÉ to take no further action on Joe Brolly

The Derry man was speaking about the tactics adopted by the Cavan senior football team when he said: “I’ve referred to Cavan in recent years as ‘The Black Death’ because the football has been, as some people have said, as ugly as Marty Morrissey.”

A shocked Michael Lyster took immediate offence to the comment, reacting “No, no, no” and insisted Brolly apologise.

“I should apologise to the people of Cavan,” said Brolly to which Lyster returned: “Apologise to Marty Morrissey for a start.”

During the half-time break between Cavan and Monaghan, Brolly apologised to Morrissey on air by saying “it was said in the spirit of affection and not meant literally”.

“Well, I presume that’s an apology,” remarked Lyster. “We appreciate that because it was out of order, Joe.”

Brolly was speaking from the outside broadcast studio in Thurles where Morrissey was also working, commentating on the Limerick-Clare game for RTÉ Radio 1.

Morrissey did not see or hear the remark and did not wish to comment about it.

However, RTÉ communications manager Maureen Catterson said: “Joe made a comment and later on in the programme he apologised personally to Marty on air so we will just leave it at that.”

It is the third time in the last three years Brolly has had to apologise for offensive remarks.

In 2013, he took it upon himself to say sorry to Tyrone captain Sean Cavanagh after he slated him in the aftermath of his tackle on Monaghan’s Conor McManus in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

Last year, he apologised to Sky Sports’ GAA anchor Rachel Wyse after tweeting: “SKY = TV3 plus Baywatch babe”.

Brolly was slammed on Twitter for his Morrissey comment. Galway footballer Damien Comer posted: “Joe brolly’s comments on the Sunday game are a disgrace, yet another f**k up by an ignorant man”

Meanwhile, Joe Canning has been declared fit to face Dublin in next Sunday’s Leinster quarter-final in Croke Park.

The Portuma man suffered a bad hand cut after a recent challenge game with Clare but Anthony Cunningham has reported he will be okay.

“Joe should be fine, he has recovered well but this game is probably coming too soon for Daithí Burke and David Burke, but they should be fine for the next day.”

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited