A man who was extradited from Australia to face charges in connection with a seizure of almost €50,000 worth of cannabis in Dublin in 2005, has been remanded in custody pending trial.
Robert Burke (aged 26), a father-of-one of no current address, was arrested this week on foot of an extradition warrant after a six-year effort by gardaí to bring him back to Ireland.
He was brought before Dublin District Court charged with possession of more than €13,000 worth of cannabis with intent to sell or supply at Sweetmount Avenue, Dundrum on October 18, 2005.
Judge Dermot Dempsey heard that the prosecution had an objection to bail on the grounds that it was believed the accused would abscond.
A state solicitor said that when the defendant went to Australia, “he was facing very serious allegations and the strong likelihood that charges would follow”.
She said the accused “fled to Australia” a month after he was interviewed by gardaí and he had been aware when a warrant was issued for his arrest.
The court heard he went to Australia because of a “threat” he was facing at the time.
His father and an uncle tried to assure the court that Mr Burke would remain in Ireland to face his trial.
Businessman Mr Gerard Burke said he believed his son understood the gravity of the situation and was “much more mature now” than when he left for Australia.
His uncle, Mr Robert Burke, who is managing director of a company, also told the court he was prepared to offer-full time employment to the defendant.
Defence Solicitor Michael Hanahoe said the accused would surrender his passport and sign on daily at a garda station if granted bail.
However, Judge Dempsey refused bail and returned the defendant for trial to the present term of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.