Teen knife murder inquest adjourned

The inquest into the murder of teenager Raonaid Murray will reopen close to the eighth anniversary of her death next year, it was confirmed today.

The inquest into the murder of teenager Raonaid Murray will reopen close to the eighth anniversary of her death next year, it was confirmed today.

In a short sitting, the Dublin County Coroner’s Court heard the garda investigation into the 1999 murder of the Co Dublin schoolgirl was still ongoing.

Insp Eamon O’Reilly from Dun Laoghaire Garda Station said: “The Garda criminal investigation is still ongoing into the circumstances of the death of Raonaid Murray and under the circumstances I am looking for an adjournment for one year in this case.”

Coroner Dr Kieran Geraghty adjourned the inquest under Section 25 (1) of the Coroner’s Act to September 4, 2007. He said: “I would like to extend my sympathy to the members of Raonaid Murray’s family.”

Gardaí issued a new appeal for information last weekend on the seventh anniversary of her death.

Officers are looking to speak to a man seen with Ms Murray as she walked home from a pub on September 3, 1999. The 17-year-old died after receiving several stab wounds to her side, chest and shoulder in an attack near her home at Silchester Park, Glenageary, just before midnight.

Her body was found just 50 yards from her home around 20 minutes later by her older sister, Sarah Murray.

Gardaí have interviewed more than 8,000 people and taken almost 3,000 statements. A reward of €190,000 has been offered to anyone with information leading to the murderer’s conviction.

The inquest into the death of Rachel O’Reilly was also adjourned until March 20, 2007.

Insp Oliver Keegan from Balbriggan station told the Coroner’s Court: “A file on the death of Rachel O’Reilly is currently with the Director of Public Prosecutions and I seek an adjournment to the new year.”

The coroner said: “A file is with the DPP at the moment, no one has been charged I am going to extend the inquest until March 20, 2007.”

Outside the inquest, Insp Keegan said the file would hopefully be returned shortly.

Ms O’Reilly, a 30-year-old mother of two, was found dead at her home in Baldarragh near Naul village by her mother, Rose Callely, on October 4, 2004. The alarm was raised she failed to collect one of her children from a creche. She was killed after receiving several blows to the head with a blunt instrument.

In November 2004, three people were arrested and questioned by gardaí. All three were later released without charge. Last March, gardaí investigating the murder also questioned a 37-year-old woman who was later released without charge.

In March, Gardaí exhumed Ms O’Reilly’s grave after receiving information a note had been placed in her coffin before burial.

More in this section

Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.

Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence