Pregnant Dublin woman robbed taximan with syringe

A pregnant mother of three who robbed a taxi driver with a syringe after he spurned her sexual advances has had her partially suspended sentence reactivated.
Pregnant Dublin woman robbed taximan with syringe

Mary Ward, aged 34, offered the driver sex and quoted him prices for various sexual acts. When he did not express any interest, she decided to rob him.

Ward, of Nelson St, Dublin, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to robbing taxi driver Declan Byrne and threatening him with a syringe at Blackhall Place and attempting to rob Sean McGarby at a Spar shop in Inchicore on August 27, 2011.

She also pleaded guilty to robbing a woman at Arbour Place on November 11, 2011, after accusing the victim of working as a prostitute.

She further pleaded guilty to robbing another woman at Arbour Hill on November 14, 2011, while on bail for the previous offence.

Judge Patrick McCartan had sentenced her to five years in prison with the final two suspended in 2012 for robbery and attempted robbery offences. Yesterday, he reactivated the two-year suspended element.

Ward has 34 previous convictions, including prostitution, drug possession, and theft. She has three children, who live with her mother.

One of the conditions of Ward’s suspended sentence was that she attend meetings with the probation services.

Probation officer Caoimhe O’Halloran yesterday told Noel Devitt, prosecuting, that Ward’s attendance had “deteriorated” since her release from prison. She added that Ward left the country for a few weeks this year without contacting her.

Ms O’Halloran

said she would be willing to re-engage with Ward if she told the Probation and Welfare Services her address and kept appointments.

Judge McCartan said he had structured the sentence with a suspended portion “in the hope” Ward would be stabilised off drugs on her release. “It’s clear that didn’t happen,” he said.

The judge added that the only thing he could do was protect her child and protect the community by reactivating the two years.

At the original sentence hearing, Detective Garda Barry Hayes told Mr Devitt that, on August 27, 2011, Mr Byrne picked up a group of people including Ward in his taxi. He dropped everyone off except Ward who asked to go on to St James Hospital.

After Mr Byrne ignored her offers to perform sexual acts for money, Ward took out a blood-filled syringe, told him she had Aids, and demanded money from him.

She then fled before getting into another taxi and again demanded money with the syringe. The driver gave her €40.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.