No bail application for Yeates murder accused

The man accused of killing Joanna Yeates was remanded in custody again today after his legal team declined to make a bail application.

The man accused of killing Joanna Yeates was remanded in custody again today after his legal team declined to make a bail application.

Dutch engineer Vincent Tabak, Miss Yeates’s next door neighbour, appeared at Bristol Crown Court for a bail hearing.

But no application was made for bail and he was remanded to appear at the same court next Monday.

Members of the public and journalists filled the gallery of Courtroom 1 for the 10-minute hearing.

A greying Tabak, who wore a red jumper, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and dark trousers, appeared in the dock accompanied by five dock officers.

He spoke just twice during the brief hearing.

The clerk asked the clean-shaven, bespectacled 6ft 4in defendant if he was Vincent Tabak.

He leaned forward towards the dock glass and replied: “Yes, that is correct.”

An interpreter attended the court but Paul Cook, representing Tabak, said she was not required today but did not rule out the need at subsequent hearings.

Representatives of the media had applied to use Twitter during today’s proceedings.

After a brief discussion between Mr Cook and Ann Reddrop, appearing for the Crown, Mr Justice Treacy allowed the application.

Mr Cook said he would not be applying for bail today on behalf of his client.

Mrs Reddrop asked for a remand into custody and outlined the reasons.

The judge agreed and said: “I shall not grant Mr Tabak bail as there has not been a bail application.

“Mr Tabak will be remanded into custody until the next hearing, which is the preliminary hearing on January 31.”

Addressing Tabak, the judge said: “I am remanding you in custody.

“You will appear before me next Monday morning at 10am when you will appear for a preliminary hearing which will set out a timetable for the trial of your case.”

Tabak replied: “I understand.”

He first appeared before JPs at Bristol Magistrates’ Court yesterday, charged with killing the 25-year-old landscape architect some time between December 16 and December 26.

She disappeared on December 17 and her snow-covered body was discovered on Christmas Day, three miles from her home.

Tabak, a trilingual engineer, is an expert in the flow of people through buildings, including sports venues.

He lived next door to Miss Yeates with his girlfriend, Tanja Morson, an analyst for Dyson, in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

His arrest was the second to be made by detectives since the university graduate’s frozen body was found dumped in a lane in Failand, North Somerset, on December 25 by a couple walking their dog. She had been strangled.

Miss Yeates disappeared after going for Christmas drinks with colleagues at her architectural firm in Bristol.

Her boyfriend, Greg Reardon, 27, reported her missing after he returned to the rented flat they shared on December 19 following a weekend away visiting family in Sheffield.

A huge police operation swung into action after her body was discovered on the verge in Longwood Lane, Failand.

Miss Yeates’s landlord, Chris Jefferies, 66, was arrested on December 30 and questioned for three days on suspicion of murder before being released on bail.

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd