Tests confirm Mumbai massacre gunman an adult

The lone terror suspect in the Mumbai attacks has failed in his bid to be treated as a minor after tests confirmed he is more than 20 years old.

The lone terror suspect in the Mumbai attacks has failed in his bid to be treated as a minor after tests confirmed he is more than 20 years old.

Judge M L Tahiliyani ordered the tests after Mohammed Ajmal Kasab claimed he was below 18 and should be tried in a juvenile court which has limited sentencing powers. Mr Tahiliyani is expected to give his ruling on the matter tomorrow, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said today.

The terror suspect had undergone a dental and bone test to determine his age.

Two witnesses also testified in court. Swati Sathe, superintendent of Arthur Road Jail where Kasab is being held, told the court that the suspect had revealed he was 21 years old.

A doctor who treated Kasab in November last year also told the court that the suspect had said he was 21 years old.

The medical tests and testimonials quash claims by Kasab that he was a minor at the time of the November 26 attacks. Mr Nikam told the court last week that Kasab had revealed his age on three different occasions – to the police and jail authorities, to the doctor who examined him and to the magistrate before whom he recorded his confession statement.

Kasab’s trial has been delayed over the appointment of lawyer Anjali Waghmare, who was later replaced over legal discrepancies. S

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox