Two News of the World stories appear to have raised suspicions that Clarence House officials’ voicemail messages may have been intercepted.
The first, a short piece about a knee injury Prince William suffered, apparently left the young British royal puzzled about how an undisclosed meeting he had with a doctor to discuss the problem came to be featured in the article.
The story claimed William had to postpone a mountain rescue course because he had hurt the joint at a public event.
Published on November 6 last year under the by-line of the Sunday newspaper’s royal editor Clive Goodman, it stated: “William pulled a tendon in his knee after last week’s kids’ kickabout with Premiership club Charlton Athletic.
“Now medics have put him on the sick list.”
William, an officer cadet at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, has admitted in the past to suffering from a niggling knee injury.
The article went on to claim: “He has seen Prince Charles’ personal doc and is now having physiotherapy at Cirencester hospital, near his country home Highgrove.”
At the time Clarence House refused to comment on the story.
The second News of the World article was written a week later by Mr Goodman and claimed ITV’s political editor Tom Bradby had lent William some broadcasting equipment.
The story appeared a week before Mr Bradby was due to have a meeting with William.
It said: “If ITN do a stocktake on their portable editing suites this week, they might notice they’re one down.
“That’s because their pin-up political editor Tom Bradby has lent it to close pal Prince William so he can edit together all his gap year videos and DVDs into one very posh home movie.”
Speaking about the prince Mr Bradby said: “When he and I hooked up we both looked at each other and said: ‘Well how on earth did that get out?'"