The British Foreign Office has been monitoring the threat from terrorist groups in the area and said the threat of further attacks has ‘developed considerably’ in recent days. Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs has noted this change in advice from the British government and said it is urgently reviewing its own policy.
The warning comes after 38 people — three of which were Irish citizens and 30 of which were British — were killed when an Islamic State gunman stormed the beach at Sousse last month.
Meanwhile, Tunisia’s government said it will build a wall along its border with Libya to prevent the infiltration of Islamist fighters.
The wall, that will cover about a third of the 500km border, will be ready by the end of the year, said Prime Minister Habib Essid.
The government has already started construction, he said, though he warned protecting the border would be “very difficult.” While Tunisia has escaped the worst of the unrest that swept through Libya, Syria and Egypt since 2011, the violence is hurting an economy struggling to recover after the uprising that toppled president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
The barrier is one of the measures Tunisia has announced to counter the threat of Islamic militancy that has targeted the tourism sector, which accounts for about 7% of its economy.
A month-long state of emergency was declared on July 4. The Tunisian government has said the gunman who carried out the attack in the Sousse resort last month was trained in Libya. Perpetrators of another fatal shooting at the country’s main museum in March also came from Libya. The IS branch in Libya claimed responsibility for both attacks.