Journalists charged over phonehacking

Senior journalists from the News of the World pledged yesterday to clear their names after it was announced that eight people, including David Cameron’s former spin doctor, Andy Coulson, will be charged with phone hacking.

Seven members of staff from the now-defunct tabloid, including former editors Coulson and Rebekah Brooks, face court action over accusations that they illegally accessed voicemails.

The charges are a potential blow for the prime minister, who employed Coulson as his press adviser following his resignation as editor of the NOTW.

The seven stand accused of one general charge of alleged phone hacking between Oct 2000 and Aug 2006 that could have affected as many as 600 victims.

Brooks and Coulson face specific charges of illegally accessing the voicemail of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.

In a statement, Brooks insisted she was innocent, adding: “The charge concerning Milly Dowler is particularly upsetting not only as it is untrue but also because I have spent my journalistic career campaigning for victims of crime. I will vigorouslydefend these allegations.”

Speaking outside his home in south-east London, Coulson said he would fight the charges in court.

He said: “Anyone who knows me, or who worked with me, would know that I wouldn’t, and more importantly that I didn’t, do anything to damage the Milly Dowler investigation.

“The idea that I would sit in my office dreaming up schemes to undermine investigations is simply untrue.”

The other former NOTW staff who face court action are ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former head of news Ian Edmondson, ex-chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and former reporter James Weatherup. They are accused along with private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.

All eight are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Aug 16, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

The CPS yesterday told former NOTW journalist Ross Hall, who wrote under the name Ross Hindley, freelance journalist Terenia Taras and former Evening Standard sports reporter Raoul Simons that no further action will be taken against them.

A decision has yet to be made in relation to another two people, said legal adviser Alison Levitt QC.

Former NOTW chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck said he will “vigorously fight” to clear his name.

He said: “I have always o

Edmondson, who was first arrested in April last year, said he only learned he would be charged when he saw news reports of the CPS press conference.

Brooks is already facing three counts of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, linked to the investigation into phone hacking.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox