Gary Buckley strikes to keep Cork City in title contention

Wexford Youths 0, Cork City 1: Cork City maintained their pressure on leaders Dundalk with a hard-earned victory over a battling Wexford Youths side at Ferrycarrig Park yesterday afternoon.

Gary Buckley strikes to keep Cork City in title contention

The opening 20 minutes was dominated by Cork City but despite maintaining continuous pressure were unable to break through the home defence, who brought a number of players behind the ball to assist their defence.

City came close to taking the lead after ten minutes having utterly dominated. Stephen Beattie powered in a free-kick from just outside the area, with keeper Graham Doyle spilling the ball into the path of the in-rushing Danny Morrissey, but the keeper atoned by turning the rebound around the post for a corner that came to nothing.

The visitors continued to set the pace, restricting the home side to counter-attacks. Beattie rose to a Kevin O’Connor corner-kick but could not keep the ball down with his effort going over.

With Youths defending desperately, City should have opened the scoring after 16 minutes.

Gavan Holohan played a short free-kick to Mark O’Sullivan, who directed his shot straight at the keeper.

Youths did get a foothold and could have taken the lead after 20 minutes.

Aidan Friel played a superb ball across goal but Jonny Bonner blazed his shot wide as keeper Mark McNulty advanced.

Youths gained in confidence and six minutes later a superb Paul Murphy crossfield ball picked out Danny Furlong but his shot from the left edge of area rebounded off the post into the arms of the grateful McNulty.

A minute later, City eventually got the breakthrough they had been threatening for so long.

Kevin O’Connor powered in a low free-kick that was spilt by keeper Doyle into the path of the incoming Gary Buckley, who was left with the simple task of tapping into the net.

In the opening minute of the second half, Gary Delaney had an effort just wide as the Youths chased an equaliser. While the Youths remained a threat on the counter it was City who continued to dominate possession but despite all that they were struggling to create chances.

Youths had a chance of equalising on 75 minutes but Beattie somehow blocked out a Friel effort, while three minutes later at the opposite end an Ian Turner cross picked out O’Sullivan whose header was superbly saved by Doyle.


Graham Doyle; Daniel Ledwith, Ryan Delaney, Gary Delaney, Aidan Friel (Eric Molloy 80), Stephen Last, Jonny Bonner, Chris Kenny (Peter Higgins 70) Shane Dunne (Andy Mulligan 80), Danny Furlong, Paul Murphy.


Mark McNulty; Gavan Holohan, Alan Bennett, Michael McSweeney, Kevin O’Connor, Colin Healy, Gearoid Morrissey (Karl Sheppard 61), Steven Beattie, Mark O’Sullivan, Danny Morrissey (Ian Turner 73), Gary Buckley.


Tommy Connolly.

More in this section

Price info

Subscribe to unlock unlimited digital access.
Cancel anytime.

Terms and conditions apply


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox