Brawl marrs Dragons win

Glasgow Warriors 15 Newport Dragons 21

Glasgow Warriors 15 Newport Dragons 21

Scotland skipper Jonny Petrie was taken to hospital after suffering a serious-looking shoulder injury during a mass brawl at Hughenden in the Celtic League defeat to Newport.

The flashpoint happened towards the end of the first half of the League opener in which the Dragons ultimately deserved to win.

Trouble erupted when the home pack buckled the Newport pack. As the home captain was stretchered off in distress, Irish referee George Clancy yellow-carded Rhys Thomas.

The opening 35 minutes had been a nervy and tense affair with the defences cancelling each other out.

Glasgow should have opened up an early six-point gap, but Test marksman Dan Parks watched in dismay as two penalty attempts in quick succession crash back off the near post.

The home side enjoyed the bulk of possession in that jittery sparring session, however it was the Dragons who looked more likely to create clear-cut chances.

Warriors suffered their first injury setback when Canadian international prop Kevin Tkachuk was forced off with a shoulder problem.

And it was only after the departure of Petrie that the encounter started to produce fluent and attacking rugby.

Within two minutes of the bust-up, Glasgow at last found half a gap in the Dragons’ line of markers and flanker Steve Swindall forced his way under the crossbar to give Parks a formality of a conversion.

Glasgow maintained the momentum, but were unable to add to their tally before the interval.

Dragons came out with much more purpose after the restart and a spell of intense pressure paved the way for their equalising score.

Winger Richard Fussell had set up the position with a long and mazy run before captain Jason Forster burrowed through from point-blank range. Craig Warlow added the extras from a tricky angle.

And the visitors surged ahead with a touchdown by Gareth Wyatt following an interception on the halfway line. Again Warlow was on target from wide.

Parks clawed back a penalty to set up an exciting finale in which Richard Bryan pounced on a loose ball to make sure for Newport, Warlow converting.

There was still time for Mike Roberts to mark his Glasgow debut with a consolation try.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox