A run in the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot on June 19 remains the likely “first preference” for Frankel, trainer Sir Henry Cecil said.
The brilliant colt delighted on his four-year-old reappearance when powering home by five lengths in the JLT Lockinge Stakes over a mile at Newbury on Saturday.
While the 10-furlong Prince of Wales’s Stakes at the Royal meeting the following day is an option, the mile of the Queen Anne appears to have been deemed more suitable at this stage.
Speaking on his website, the Warren Place trainer said: “Over the last two seasons he has come on a good deal from his first race and hopefully he will do the same this season.
“He has strengthened and grown up a great deal mentally. All being well his next start will be at Ascot in either the Queen Anne or the Prince of Wales, the former being my first preference at the moment, but we will see.”
Cecil also reiterated his thanks to his staff, after Frankel overcame an injury scare last month, and to regular lead-horse and pacemaker Bullet Train, who was ridden by Ian Mongan.
He said: “After the hold-up in his training schedule at a crucial time it was wonderful to get him there on the day to win.
“Shane Fetherstonhaugh and all those involved with him have done a great job and his success is down to team-work.
“I am very grateful to them all and to his lead-horse and three-parts brother Bullet Train who also fulfils such an important role. For a middle-distance horse he did very well to finish fourth.”