Cumani maps out Melbourne plans

Luca Cumani is already plotting a route back to the Melbourne Cup for last year’s runner-up Bauer.

Luca Cumani is already plotting a route back to the Melbourne Cup for last year’s runner-up Bauer.

The six-year-old stayer was agonisingly defeated a nose by Viewed in the 2008 two-mile Flemington feature – and will return for another bite at the cherry in November.

Cumani said: “Bauer’s whole year is being planned with one race in mind – the Cup.

“He won’t run until the summer and he’ll have a light program in Europe before we take him for the Caulfield Cup and then Flemington.

“He has shown us that he loves the Australian style of racing and we have to hope he can run so well again.

“Realistically, it’s the best chance he has of winning one of the world’s top races as he probably hasn’t got the out-and-out ability of the top stayers in Europe.”

Bauer is likely to be joined in Australia by at least one other representative from Bedford House Stables, but probably not Mad Rush.

The five-year-old finished seventh in last year’s Melbourne Cup, having been sent off the 9-2 favourite.

“Damien (Oliver) said he didn’t quite stay the trip in the Melbourne Cup, but my feeling is he might not have enjoyed the firm ground,” Cumani told The Sunday Age.

“Whatever the truth, it’s doubtful he’ll go back.

“It’s too early to say what else might be good enough for Melbourne.

“I hope we may have at least one other to join Bauer, but those horses would need to improve.”

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited