Online trend blamed as five teens die in Kildare crash
Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly: 'What makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes, regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have.' Picture: Brian Lawless/PA
The Garda Commissioner has condemned “reckless” drivers who engage in irresponsible behaviour “for social media likes” in the wake of a head-on collision that killed five teenagers.
The horror crash, in Co Kildare, is believed to be the latest in a social media trend in which drivers are filmed travelling the wrong way on motorways.
The crash occurred when a BMW carrying all five teenagers was driven into oncoming northbound traffic on the M9, between Junction 3 and 4 near Athy, at around 3am yesterday.
The vehicle collided with another car carrying four members of the same family, who were on their way to Dublin Airport from Carlow.
It was reported that some of the teenagers may have been masked, and that gardaí were investigating if they had been involved in attempts to break into cars earlier in the day.
The driver of the airport-bound car — a Hyundai — and a front passenger, both in their 30s, were taken to Tallaght University Hospital and remain in a “critical condition”, according to gardaí.
A rear-seat passenger, in her 20s, was taken to St Luke’s General Hospital and is in a “serious condition”, as is the third passenger, a seven-year-old child who was rushed to Crumlin Children’s Hospital.
The bodies of the teenagers were taken to Naas General Hospital, where autopsies will take place.
Yesterday’s incident is the second in just over a week involving injuries to drivers and passengers after a car was driven on the wrong side of the road.
One youth was left critical, and eight other people suffered injuries in a head-on collision on the M50 motorway in Dublin on August 9.
It later transpired that the car had been reported stolen.
In the aftermath of the latest incident, Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly said: “My thoughts are with those injured in this collision on the M9.
"These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.
“That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes, regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.
“As this particular incident has been referred to Fiosrú, the Police Ombudsman, I am constrained in what I can say in detail about this. But I know that gardaí do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users.”
Mr Kelly said gardaí are put in a “really challenging situation” when trying to deal with such incidents.
“As always, An Garda Síochána will fully co-operate with the Police Ombudsman investigation, which I hope is completed as expeditiously as possible... Such incidents show the difficult work we ask our gardaí to undertake every day to keep our communities safe.”
Brian Dooley, a councillor in Athy, said: “People are devastated and shocked to hear what has happened, especially to that family heading to the airport.
“Nobody can imagine what it is like to get a knock at the door to say that your loved one is seriously injured in hospital, or killed.”
Councillor Ivan Keatley said: “All our thoughts and prayers and heartfelt sympathies are with the families of all involved.”
Commenting on the latest incident, the Road Safety Authority said: “Every road death is a tragedy and behind every person who loses their life is a family, friends, and a community left to deal with the devastating consequences.
“No journey should end with a family waiting for someone who will never come home.”


