LIV Golf scraps Team Championship tournament in Michigan 

CEO Scott O'Neil said LIV Golf is being reimagined as a "fundamentally new League owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model"
LIV Golf's 2026 season will conclude at Chatham Hills this week. Pic: Jordan Bank/Getty Images

LIV Golf's 2026 season will conclude at Chatham Hills this week. Pic: Jordan Bank/Getty Images

LIV Golf’s season-ending Team Championship tournament in Michigan has been cancelled to allow “full resources” to be used to put plans in place for the 2027 calendar.

A statement by the breakaway league on Monday night confirmed the final event of this season’s schedule at The Cardinal at Saint John’s course had been scrapped.

This week’s Indianapolis 2026 Championships at Chatham Hills will instead conclude action for this year before LIV Golf will undergo major changes following the withdrawal of Saudi Arabia's Public Invest Fund as the key financial backer of the league.

A new “lead investor” has been found, but no further details have emerged since an announcement by LIV Golf on August 5.

Scott O’Neil, chief executive at LIV Golf, said: “By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands.

“We are reimagining LIV Golf as a fundamentally new League owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience built for the markets where the game is growing fastest across the globe and the support of world-class partners.

“Professional golf is more unified today than at any point since we launched, creating a genuine opportunity to grow the game together. Indianapolis will be a fitting finale for the League as fans have known it and the starting point for what we believe it can become.” 

Last week reports emerged that the event set to start on August 27 in Michigan was set to be cancelled.

Ground pass and hospitality tickets for the tournament were suddenly no longer available on the LIV Golf website last Thursday and now it officially will not take place.

There are 57 players set to contend the event in Indianapolis, which will start on Thursday.

A statement by LIV Golf read: “With LIV Golf Indianapolis serving as the final event of the season, the previously scheduled Aramco LIV Golf Michigan, originally set for August 27-30, at The Cardinal at Saint John’s Resort, will not take place.

“LIV Golf is grateful to the Pulte Family Foundation for their partnership and support.”

x

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited