'We're not getting too ahead of ourselves': Portmarnock bid to retain Fred Daly crown
Paul Mitchell and his Portmarnock team celebrate winning the Fred Daly Trophy at Donabate last year Photo: Inpho | Laszlo Geczo
Paul Mitchell is hoping his Portmarnock side can become just the third team in the history of the Fred Daly Trophy to retain their crown when the All-Ireland Underage Inter-Club Finals get underway at Moate this week.
The first of this year’s All-Ireland Inter-Club Finals takes place at the Westmeath venue from Tuesday, with the Fred Daly Trophy, Irish Boys’ Foursomes, Irish Boys’ Inter-Club and Irish Girls’ Inter-Club titles all down for decision.
Mitchell’s side claimed Portmarnock’s first ever Fred Daly crown in 2025, defeating Galgorm Castle in a tight encounter as John Moran sank the winning putt on the 18th to defeat Harris Fleming 2up for a 3-2 victory.
“It was an historic win,” said Mitchell.
“It was a huge win for Portmarnock winning the first Fred Daly and we're not getting too ahead of ourselves, but it's obviously great to be still contesting at this stage of the competition.”
Read More
Mitchell has the comfort of familiarity this year, with his squad including each of the players from the winning side last year. Adam Fahey, John Moran, Freddie Bracken, Johnny McKernan and Gabriel Kelly return to the team, while Jack Lynch and Alex Mitchell round out the squad.
“The depth of our squad has been great this year and having some younger players coming through has been fantastic,” said Mitchell.
“All the lads are a year older, and we've got a couple of elite international golfers as well, which would really help us.”
Portmarnock will take on Ulster South pennant winners Belvoir Park in the opening quarter-final, while Co. Sligo face Edenderry, Galgorm Castle take on Fermoy and Killarney play Dun Laoghaire in the other Fred Daly Trophy quarter-final ties.
Having been a member of Portmarnock for over 30 years and captain of the Fred Daly team for six of those years, Mitchell knows it takes a whole community of players, families and the club itself to bring about success.
“When you're managing underage teams, you do really need the buy-in of the parents,” said Mitchell.
“There's a lot of sacrifices that are made, they do a lot of driving, they give up a lot of personal time, so I would never overlook the contribution of the parents.
“Also, the support of the club, the captain, and the professional Francis Howley for getting the lads suited and booted and all the team. We've really got behind these lads throughout, so it's great to work with everyone.”
Shandon Park (1997 and 1998) and Rosslare (2008 and 2009) are the only other teams to win back-to-back titles, and while Mitchell knows it will be another tough battle to retain their crown, he is hoping more history could be made for the Dublin club come Wednesday evening.
“It'd be very special to repeat it,” said Mitchell.
“We're certainly not underestimating the challenge that we have ahead, and we're expecting very tight matches, and anything can happen in match play. We're just looking forward to it and looking forward to competing.
“To win it once is fantastic, but to win it a second time would be just outstanding. We'll just be giving it all we can.”
The 2026 All-Ireland Underage Inter-Club Finals get underway on Tuesday morning, with the Fred Daly Trophy quarter-finals beginning at 8.00am.






