Clare complete day of upsets

Clare 1-13 Limerick 0-15

Clare 1-13 Limerick 0-15

Clare upset the odds when they beat Limerick after a titanic second half in tonight's Munster SFC semi-final at the Gaelic Grounds.

Clare looked home and dry when they led 1-10 to 0-3 a minute into the second half but a superb second half display by Ian Ryan paved the way for an edge of the seat finish.

Limerick fought back not only to level but they moved a point in front for the first time with five minutes remaining.

But the Banner's top marksman David Tubridy notched the match-winning point ten seconds from the end.

Clare had got off to a blistering start and really swept Limerick aside in the opening quarter. They had five points on the trot from Rory Donnelly, Shane McGrath and midfielders Gary Brennan and Ger Quinlan.

Limerick opened their account with a point by Ger Collins after Seamus O'Carroll burst through the Clare defence only to see his effort come back off the woodwork but straight into the hands of Collins.

This sparked a comeback of sorts from Limerick who had two further points from Ryan, one from a free. Donnelly punched a point for Clare who struck for their all-important goal after 23 minutes.

Centre-back Gordon Kelly raced out of defence and spotting a gap he burst past three Limerick defenders on a 50-metre run before crashing the ball to the net.

Clare went on to lead 1-9 to 0-3 at half-time with Limerick getting a mere two points from play. Stephen Kelly just failed to get a touch to a great delivery in by O'Carroll just on the whistle.

Clare began the second half as they did in the first with a point by Shane McGrath but Limerick's luck was out again when another low ball in by O'Carroll flew across the front of goal.

Twelve minutes in, O'Carroll tried to force his way through but his effort was blocked and put out for a '45' which Limerick goalkeeper Brian Scanlon kicked wide from a favourable position.

Inspired by a magical display from Ryan. Limerick clawed their way back and with six minutes remaining it was all-square. A Ryan free edged Limerick in front for the first time and Tubridy levelled.

Amidst intense excitement Limerick looked to have snatched a goal but for the second time the woodwork denied the home side when a punched effort by Collins came back into play.

In the dying seconds though, it was fitting that man-of-the-match Tubridy grabbed the winner for Clare.


Clare: D Tubridy 0-5 (0-1f, 0-1 '45'), R Donnelly 0-3, G Kelly 1-0, S McGrath 0-2, G Brennan, G Quinlan, A Clohessy 0-1 each

Limerick: I Ryan 0-10 (0-5f), G Collins 0-3, S Kelly, S O'Carroll 0-1 each

CLARE: Joe Hayes; K Hartnett, S McNelis, L Healy; M McMahon, G Kelly, John Hayes; G Brennan, G Quinlan; S McGrath, E Coughlan, A Clohessy; M O'Shea, D Tubridy, R Donnelly.

LIMERICK: B Scanlon; J McCarthy, P Browne, L O'Dwyer; S Lavin, J Riordan, P Ranahan; T Lee, P Kinnerk; I Corbett, S Kelly, S Buckley; G Collins, S O'Carroll, I Ryan.

Referee: Derek Fahy (Longford).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.