All of the players who received GAA All-Star Football awards last Friday night have been shortlisted for OPEL-GPA Football Team of the Year accolades, following the announcement of the nominees today.
The shortlist includes three players for each position, reflecting the dominant role played by each individual player during the 2010 season.
A total of 13 counties have players included in the shortlist, with Dublin, Down, Cork, Sligo, Roscommon, Kildare, Tyrone, Louth, Kerry, Limerick, Monaghan, Meath and Armagh represented.
All-Ireland champions Cork received a total of nine nominations while beaten finalists Down have five players shortlisted. Semi-finalists Dublin and Kildare received five and six nominations respectively.
The three nominees for the OPEL Football Player of the year as chosen by the Football Selection Committee are Dublin's Bernard Brogan, Benny Coulter of Down and Kildare captain John Doyle.
The shortlists were drawn up by a selection committee headed by Chairman Martin McHugh. The winners will be selected by members of the Gaelic Players' Association (GPA).
The Opel GPA Player of the Year for Football will be announced at the GPA gala evening at the Citywest Hotel on Friday, November 5.
Commenting on the announcement, McHugh said the nominations were a result of considered deliberations by the committee and emphasised that individual performance took precedence over team endeavour.
"These type of awards are entirely subjective and don't always attract everyone's approval but the over-riding objective is to get the best 15 players for the 15 individual positions," said the former Donegal All-Ireland winner.
"Those of us on the committee believe that the overall aim can be achieved from the 45 players whom we have chosen for the nominations."
Dessie Farrell, Chief Executive of the Gaelic Players' Association, added: "It was a wonderful football season with a thrilling climax and I would like to congratulate the nominees and thank Martin McHugh and his selection committee.
"The players will now choose the final 15 and their Player of the Year, no doubt generating much debate and analysis in the process. Thanks to OPEL for their continuing support of the GPA Player Awards."
2010 OPEL-GPA FOOTBALL TEAM OF THE YEAR NOMINATIONS:
1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)/Brendan McVeigh (Down)/Alan Quirke (Cork)
2. Charlie Harrison (Sligo)/Seanie McDermott (Roscommon)/Peter Kelly (Kildare)
3. Justin McMahon (Tyrone)/Rory O’Carroll (Dublin)/Michael Shields (Cork)
4. John O’Brien (Louth)/Eoin Cadogan (Cork)/Philly McMahon (Dublin)
5. Kevin McKernan (Down)/Tomas Ó Sé (Kerry)/Stephen Lavin (Limerick)
6. Graham Canty (Cork)/Conor Gormley (Tyrone)/Emmet Bolton (Kildare)
7. Paudie Kissane (Cork)/Philip Jordan (Tyrone)/Damien Freeman (Monaghan)
8/9. Paddy Keenan (Louth)/John Galvin (Limerick)/Aidan Walsh (Cork)/Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin)/Darryl Flynn (Kildare)/Dick Clerkin (Monaghan)
10. Patrick Kelly (Cork)/Daniel Hughes (Down)/Alan Costello (Sligo)
11. Martin Clarke (Down)/Joe Sheridan (Meath)/Eamon Callaghan (Kildare)
12. John Doyle (Kildare)/Cathal Cregg (Roscommon)/Graham Reilly (Meath)
13. Daniel Goulding (Cork)/David Kelly (Sligo)/Colm Cooper (Kerry)
14. Donie Shine (Roscommon)/Benny Coulter (Down)/Steven McDonnell (Armagh)
15. Donnacha O’Connor (Cork)/Bernard Brogan (Dublin)/James Kavanagh (Kildare)
2010 OPEL-GPA FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR NOMINATIONS:
Bernard Brogan (Dublin)/Benny Coulter (Down)/John Doyle (Kildare)