Ballymun Kickhams and St Vincent’s advance to Dublin SFC semi-finals

Ballymun Kickhams and St Vincent’s advanced to the semi-finals of the Dublin SFC after they enjoyed wins over Raheny and Lucan Sarsfields respectively at Parnell Park. First up was the meeting between Ballymun and Raheny with the former assuming control from the outset as they eased to a success.
Ballymun Kickhams and St Vincent’s advance to Dublin SFC semi-finals

Alan Hubbard opened the scoring for Ballymun in the 2nd minute with Gavin Ivory and Brian Fenton responding in kind for Raheny.

Dean Rock and Jason Whelan added two points apiece for Kickhams but Raheny ensured they remained on their coattails thanks to two points by David Shatwell.

Rock added another brace before Raheny spurned a glorious chance in the 20th minute as James O’Kane raced past Leon Young but his rising effort struck the woodwork with Ivory on hand to tap over the rebound.

That miss looked especially costly when Paddy Small netted at the opposite end four minutes later with both James Burke and Ted Furman heavily involved in the build-up.

As impressive as that finish was, it paled by comparison to Raheny’s goal in the 28th minute as full-back Sean McMahon embarked down the left flank with his powerful surge culminating in a clam finish beyond Sean Currie.

Leading by 1-11 to 1-6 at the break, Ballymun put daylight between the teams with two further Rock frees preceding a fine Ted Furman effort in the 35th minute.

Ballymun pushed on from that point, creating chances at will with only the goalkeeping of Conor Burns keeping the score at a respectable margin after superb saves to deny Furman and Rock.

However, Furman’s goal in the 58th minute was just reward for Kickhams as the 2012 champions eased menacingly into the last four.

St Vincent’s struggled before eventually getting the better of Lucan Sarsfields by 1-14 to 2-8.

Two Brendan Gallagher points handed Lucan a promising start and they could well have increased their lead in the 10th minute but Michael Savage raced smartly from his line to thwart Rory Kelly.

Diarmuid Connolly was a peripheral figure for St Vincent’s at this stage but he made a vital intervention in the 17th minute when fouled inside the square,with Ruairi Trainor firing home the rebound after Tomás Quinn’s penalty had struck the upright.

Lucan responded however with defenders CJ Smyth and Dan Gallagher adding points in quick succession and Kelly was unfortunate to palm over Savage’s crossbar after a fine pass by Jack Carey.

Leading by 1-5 to 0-6 at the break, St Vincent’s resumed in a very positive manner with early points from Nathan Mullins and Shane Carthy doubling their lead by the 33rd minute.

Lucan bounced back through a penalty from Gallagher and a superbly-taken goal from substitute Andrew Hope within seconds of his introduction in the 55th minute.

However, Vinnies finished strongly with late scores by Connolly and Albert Martin booking a semi-final clash with Ballymun Kickhams next Wednesday night.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up