Champions Drom only unbeaten side after win over Ballysteen

Champions Dromcollogher-Broadford remain the only side with a 100% record in the Limerick SFC after four rounds of group games.

The champions were 2-11 to 1-9 winners over Ballysteen last evening. Early Danny Neville points had Ballysteen ahead until the champions eased back into the game. But then a Maurice Carrig goal gave Ballysteen a 1-4 to 0-6 interval lead. However, two Micheal Reidy goals in the second half make it four wins from four for Dromcollogher-Broadford.

Also last evening, Monaleen progressed set themselves up for progression with a 1-12 to 1-4 win over previously undefeated St Kierans. With Ger Collins and Graham O’Connell in fine form, Monaleen led 0-7 to 0-1 at half-time. A goal from O’Connell early in the second half all but sealed the result. The late consolation goal for St Kierans came from Ray Cahill.

Fr Caseys got their first win of the championship with a 2-11 to 1-10 win over Galbally in Feenagh. They were 1-5 to 0-4 ahead at half-time. Billy Quirke scored their goal from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute.

Just four minutes into the second half a John Riordan goal had the winners 2-6 to 0-5 clear. Points from Darren Sheehy kept Galbally in contention but the goal from sub Declan Barry came too late.

St Patrick’s were 2-10 to 1-11 winners over Newcastle West to keep alive their slim chances of reaching the knockout stages. But the loss could have more serious consequences for Newcastle West, who are the beaten finalists of the last two seasons and now with two defeats could yet miss out on the quarter-finals.

St Patrick’s had to fight back from conceding a first minute goal to Conor Whelan. But they had that cancelled out when Eoin Hanrahan goaled from the penalty spot after Gearoid Hegarty was fouled. By half time the St Patrick’s lead was 2-6 to 1-4 with John Mullane getting their second goal just before the break.

Mullane and Hanrahan added second half points as they held off the Newcastle West fight back, which was led by free-taker Jamie Lee.

Adare got their first win of the championship when they defeated Pallasgreen, 3-8 to 0-7. Adare led 2-5 to 0-4 at half time.

The early minutes were shared by free-takers Willie Griffin and Kevin Barry.

But in the minutes before the break Adare found the net twice, with Griffin and Shane O’Donoghue goaling.

On the resumption Michael Mulvihill added their third goal to all but seal the win over the 2012 intermediate champions.

Ballylanders defeated Mountcollins 2-9 to 1-9 in Feenagh.

Mountcollins were 0-5 to 0-3 clear at half-time with Mike Curtin and Pa Delee leading the scoring.

Delee added a goal from a penalty six minutes into the second half to go 1-6 to 0-3 clear.

But his side were to score just another three points as Ballylanders came to life.

The comeback was started in the 46th minute with a Danny Frewen goal. Kieran O’Callaghan’s goal in the 52nd minute put them 2-7 to 1-8 clear.

O’Callaghan then added two points from play to ensure the win.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd