Villagers in shock as man, 27, dies after becoming unresponsive at Cork pub

It is understood that the man was asked to leave the Riverstick pub shortly after 9pm. He complied but returned a short time later and became disruptive
It is understood the man, who was 27 and originally from Romania, was asked to leave the pub, Allens, shortly after 9pm on Saturday Picture: Noel Sweeney

It is understood the man, who was 27 and originally from Romania, was asked to leave the pub, Allens, shortly after 9pm on Saturday Picture: Noel Sweeney

Gardaí are investigating the death of a man who collapsed and became unresponsive at a pub in Riverstick, Co Cork.

It is understood the man, who was 27 and originally from Romania, was asked to leave the pub, Allens, shortly after 9pm on Saturday. He complied but returned a short time later and became disruptive.

He was again asked to calm down but became increasingly agitated.

A number of men tried to restrain the man amid concerns for his safety and the safety of others. The man became unresponsive.

An ambulance was called and paramedics went to the medical assistance of the man. However, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man had been living in Limerick but moved to a housing estate on the outskirts of the village in recent months.

His body was removed from the scene on Sunday. An autopsy was carried out at Cork University Hospital and blood samples taken for toxicology testing.

The scene was technically examined for a number of hours yesterday, and statements were to be taken from people who were at the pub at the time.

The car parks to the north and south of the pub were cordoned off by gardaí on Sunday with a number of cars still parked in them. A marquee on the premises was also surrounded by garda tape.

Local councillor Alan Coleman said he had been born and bred in the area and been a local representative for it in Cork County Council for 35 years.

"There has never been an incident like this in the village before," he said. "Villagers are in absolute shock."

A senior investigating officer has been appointed to lead the investigation. An incident room has been established at Bandon Garda station.

In a statement, gardaí issued an appeal for witnesses to the incident to come forward.

"Anyone with any information including road users who may have camera footage (including dash-cam) who were travelling in Riverstick, Co. Cork between 8pm and 9:30pm on Saturday are asked to make this footage available to investigating Gardaí," a spokesperson said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Bandon Garda Station on (023) 885 2200, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited