Cork deputy mayor hits out at coverage of 12-week GAA misconduct suspension

Independent councillor Finbarr Harrington maintained his innocence and said his 12-week GAA suspension had now ended
Finbarr Harrington was elected to Cork County Council in the Bantry-West Cork local electoral area in 2024, having failed to be elected five years earlier. Picture: Brian Lougheed

Finbarr Harrington was elected to Cork County Council in the Bantry-West Cork local electoral area in 2024, having failed to be elected five years earlier. Picture: Brian Lougheed

The deputy mayor of Co Cork has criticised media coverage of his 12-week suspension under GAA rules covering misconduct “considered to have discredited the Association”.

Mr Harrington, an Independent councillor based in Beara, received the 12-week ban following an investigation by GAA officials into an incident which occurred during a Junior B football championship match earlier this year.

The fixture, between Garnish GAA, where Mr Harrington is chairman, and Castlelyons, took place in Ballingeary on May 9, and saw Garnish defeated by a single point.

Mr Harrington was elected to Cork County Council in the Bantry-West Cork local electoral area in 2024, having failed to be elected five years earlier. He missed out after a recount by a single vote to Holly Cairns of the Social Democrats.

He was elected Cork County Council deputy mayor in June, a role that is largely ceremonial but includes representing the county at official functions, community events and civic engagements.

According to the Cork GAA County Board, Mr Harrington’s suspension was imposed under Rule 7.2(e), which covers misconduct “considered to have discredited the Association”.

This clause is often applied for serious off-field infractions, breaches of unpermitted training or play directives, or severe behavioural misconduct by GAA officials or members.

The rule allows for more severe punishments, including expulsion from the Association.

In a statement to Cork’s 96FM, Mr Harrington maintained his innocence and said his ban was now over.

He added that he had been involved in the GAA for 40 years, first as a player, and had never before received a sanction of any kind.

“I now wish to put the matter behind me and move forward positively,” he said.

“I would respectfully suggest that you consider covering all GAA suspensions and disciplinary matters on a consistent basis, rather than focusing on one individual case.”

He said this would help reassure the public “that such matters are being reported fairly, consistently and without bias”.

Mr Harrington was asked for comment.

Cork County Council said it does not comment on matters relating to third-party organisations or their internal processes.

Read More

41897815/readmore]

x

A collection of the latest sports news, reports and analysis from Cork.

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited