Two Limerick brothers who are charged with threatening to kill a mother, and her daughter and son, have applied for legal aid and the imposition of a "media blackout" during their first appearance before the Special Criminal Court this morning.
John Dundon (aged 29) with an address at Hyde Road, Limerick, is charged with threatening to kill a mother and her daughter at an address at Ballinacurra Weston during two separate incidents on the weekend of April 3 and 4.
His older brother Wayne Dundon (aged 33), of Lenihan Avenue, Limerick, is charged with threatening to kill a man at an address in Limerick city on September 30, 2010.
Counsel for the accused, Mr Shane O’Callaghan BL, made an application to the three-judge court for legal aid to be assigned and furnished the court with documentation detailing the employment record, income and expenditure of both men.
In a statement of means furnished to the court, John Dundon listed both his total income and expenditure as “zero euro”. He did not name an employer or record the receipt of any social welfare payments.
State Solicitor Michael O’Donovan told the court that the form as completed did not comply with the requirements of the court.
Mr O’Callaghan submitted that the form was compliant and told the court that John Dundon did not have any expenses as he had been living with his girlfriend, who supplied him with both food and board.
The court heard that Wayne Dundon estimated he earned €170 per week from selling horses, and although no weekly expenditure was detailed on his statement of means, his total expenditure was given as approximately €120.
Presiding judge Mr Justice John Mac Menamin said the court would direct that both men complete a legal aid application form and statement of means specific to the Special Criminal Court, as both men had filed documentation particular to the District Court which was not suitable for today’s hearing.
Mr O’Callaghan made a subsequent application for a “media blackout” of proceedings, as he said the case had received “constant media coverage” which was “hugely prejudicial” for two men facing trial.
Mr Justice Mac Menamin, sitting with Judge Alison Lindsay and Judge William Hamill, told Mr O’Callaghan that he could make an application for such a direction at the next hearing of the case or pursue the matter elsewhere.
He remanded both men in custody to appear before the court on July 21st, when an application for bail may be submitted on behalf of both of the accused.