Workers at the Sunday Tribune are facing redundancy next week after the receiver at the paper failed to find a buyer.
The company went into receivership at the beginning of the month after shareholder Independent News and Media said it would no longer fund the business.
Some 43 people are employed at the newspaper.
Receiver Jim Luby today wrote to staff to inform them that while some expressions of interest had been received, efforts to secure a buyer for the paper had so failed.
Redundancy notices are to be processed with effect from next week, staff were told.
"It would seem at this stage that the Tribune is destined to close," said Seamus Dooley, secretary of the National Union of Journalists.