A 15-year-old boy “showed no remorse” when he kicked a Chinese man's head as if it were a football, during a brutal gang attack in Dublin, the Children's Court heard today.
The Dublin schoolboy pleaded guilty to assault causing harm at Sean McDermott Street, on May 31 last.
Garda Cian Farrelly told Judge Elizabeth MacGrath that the random attack was caught on CCTV cameras operating in the area. Gardaí raced to the scene and found that the attack was still in progress.
Three youths were involved and tried to flee the scene.
Garda Farrelly told Judge MacGrath that the victim had been knocked to the ground by another member of the group and then all three started to kick and punch him. The teenager and his accomplices also “stamped” on the man's body and head.
He said that the victim was left with cuts and marks to his face, back and hands. He said that at one point in the attack as two other youths were kicking the victim the boy leaned into him and punched him in the face.
Garda Farrelly described the attack as “absolutely brutal” and the worst he had ever seen.
He also told Judge MacGrath that he kicked the man in the head “like it was a football” and added that he “showed no remorse” for his actions..
The blood-stained victim was taken to Store Street Garda station but was too afraid to enter the building “in case he might bump into” the defendant and two accomplices who were being held there at the time.
The teen also admitted two counts of trespassing at underground car parks in north inner city Dublin and interference with one vehicle parked there, which happened a day before the attack.
Garda Eamon Honan said that there had been a spate of criminal damage incidents in these car parks during which a group of youths had caused up to €3,000 worth of damages to vehicles.
He said the teen would not admit full responsibility and owned up to breaking into one car. He also pointed out that this admission only came after he had been shown CCTV footage from that incident during which he looked directly at a camera which had been recording him attempting to start the car.
Defence solicitor Niamh Bambury asked the court to note that her client, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, had no prior convictions. She also asked the judge to take into consideration the fact that the teenager had been with older youths during both incidents.
Ms Bambury said her client intended to return to school next week and attends youth clubs.
The teen's mother told the court that her son's conduct started to deteriorate about a year ago when he started using “snowblow” drugs which he got from head shops.
Judge MacGrath said the teen faced serious charges and it was lucky he had not caused more serious injuries to his victim. She adjourned sentencing for a probation report to be furnished to the court.
The teen was remanded to appear again next month to monitor his adherence to bail conditions set down by the court. These include a 9pm to 8am curfew and attendance at school when it resumes. He was warned he would be remanded in custody if he broke the terms of his bail.