Ramunas Sinica, from Lithuania, was one of 24 people employed by Finlay’s funeral services — the Ardee, Co Louth-based company is one of the largest manufacturers of coffins in Ireland. It also provides other funeral services and the Finlay family is very well-known in Louth.
It is believed the fire began possibly as a result of an electrical spark in the workshop where Mr Sinica had been working. Flammable materials including sprays and aerosols are believed to have contributed to the intensity.
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Authority visited the premises yesterday. They were notified by gardaí because it was a workplace accident.
Mr Sinica lived on William St, a five-minute walk from where he worked and yesterday friends at his apartment did not want to be identified but expressed their sorrow at what happened.
“It is very sad, he was due to get married in the summer,” said one woman. They confirmed he has a daughter in primary school and “he was lovely and will be missed”.
Sheila Broderick, senior assistant chief fire officer in Louth said the blaze, which broke out around 5.30pm, was “ferocious” when fire crews began arriving.
A Garda spokesman said he believed the fire was accidental.