Two questioned over murder of man in Kerry

Two people were still being questioned last night by gardaí in connection with the murder of a 58-year-old man near Killorglin, Co Kerry, more than a year ago.

Two questioned over murder of   man in Kerry

A man in his late 20s and a woman in her early 50s were arrested earlier yesterday in Killorglin.

The man is being detained in Tralee Garda Station, under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984, while the woman is being held at Killarney Garda Station under Section 30 of the Offences of the State Act 1939.

The violent death of James Cahillane in his home at Ardraw, Killorglin, in the early hours of Apr 19, 2012, shocked a close-knit community and led to one of the biggest murder investigations ever conducted in Kerry, with more than 400 people being interviewed.

Inspector Donal Ashe said gardaí from all over the county were involved, adding: “We put an awful lot of work into this investigation because it has been very slow from day one.’’

The body of the separated father-of-two was found in the hallway of his burnt-out home in a quiet rural area just after 2am, on Apr 19.

He lived alone and, at first, it was thought he died in the fire.

However, a postmortem examination by assistant state pathologist Dr Margot Bolster showed he had suffered extensive head injuries consistent with an assault and a full-scale murder probe was launched.

But investigating gardaí were seriously hampered because many of the potential clues were destroyed in the fire that gutted the dormer house.

Mr Cahillane, described locally as a popular, inoffensive man who did not appear to have any enemies, had been socialising in Killorglin on the evening of Wednesday, Apr 18.

After completing his day’s work as a maintenance electrician at the Fexco financial services centre in Killorglin, he did some grocery shopping and withdrew less than €100 from an ATM.

During the evening, he visited Sheehan’s and Clifford’s public houses in Killorglin before taking a taxi to his home, 5km on the Beaufort side of the town, at around 10.50pm.

Among the lines of inquiry was that he may have been attacked and robbed before the house was set on fire.

His children, Gary and Lisa, had appealed to the public through the RTÉ Crimeline programme and other media to assist the investigation

More in this section