The people of Togher in Cork have united to help Stacey Ellard, who lost her two boys Calvin, 4, and Cian, 2, in the fire in Wilton on the October bank holiday weekend.
Firefighters rescued Stacey, 26, Calvin and Cian from their smoke-filled house at Elm Park just after 4am on the Sunday.
Gardaí believe the fire started accidentally in the downstairs kitchen of the rented mid-terrace house.
But despite the frantic efforts by paramedics at the scene, Cian was pronounced dead at Cork University Hospital (CUH) a short time later.
Stacey and Calvin suffered severe smoke inhalation and were rushed in a serious condition to CUH.
Tragically, Calvin, who had only begun junior infants at Togher National School a month previously, never recovered, and died three days later.
Now a group of local community volunteers have united to help Stacey put her life back together.
A spokesman for the group said the tragedy hit the people of Togher parish hard.
“While we are limited in what we can achieve in helping Stacey going forward, the least that we can do is to try and raise some funding that will allow her to replace the personal items that were lost in the fire,” the spokesman said.
“Stacey is a part of our local community here and there is huge goodwill towards the event that we are holding.”
He said organisers have been overwhelmed by the level of support from local people and businesses, who are anxious to help.
The fundraising evening, which will feature live music and a range of spot prizes, will take place in St Finbarr’s Hurling and Football Club in Togher on Saturday, December 10.
Tickets, priced at €5, are available at local outlets, including the Togher Community Centre, Togher Family Centre, Togher Post Office and St Finbarr’s Hurling and Football Club.
* Anyone who would like to help should contact Fergal Dennehy on 087-2999337 or Michelle O’Sullivan 087-9373273.