Indaver managing director John Ahern offered a guarantee yesterday that the company will not seek to burn more than 100,000 tonnes of industrial and hazardous waste per annum at Ringaskiddy.
Indaver is seeking to increase its municipal waste incinerator capacity at Meath from 150,000 to 200,000 tonnes per year.
Indaver hopes to start construction at Duleek this year and the company sought an increase due to the adoption of a revised regional waste plan by local authorities in the northeast, according to Mr Ahern.
Indaver wants to remove a planning stipulation that the Duleek incinerator can only take waste from the northeast, claiming this makes no sense as rubbish is collected on a cross-regional basis.
Anti-incineration campaigners in Co Meath are outraged, claiming Indaver’s latest move is an underhand tactic to fulfil what has always been its ambition - to take waste from the lucrative Dublin market.
“There is no way Indaver selected the Duleek site just to deal with waste from Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and Louth. Once they get the condition restricting them to the original four counties removed, we believe they will take waste from all over the country,” said Aine Walsh, spokesperson for No Incineration Alliance (NIA).
Brian Hanratty, director of the Battle for the Boyne, a cross-border heritage and environment forum, said there was now the threat of two huge industries - Irish Cement, which has recently announced its intention to expand, and Indaver - side by side in an area of major importance to our national heritage.
The NIA last night called on all concerned citizens in Louth, Meath and North Dublin to attend a meeting at the Boyne Valley Hotel, Drogheda at 8pm on Thursday, January 19 next.
The meeting is being organised by Indaver, but NIA claim it is an opportunity for people to show Indaver their continuing opposition to its incinerator.
A High Court challenge against Indaver’s original planning permission failed last year, but this has been appealed to the Supreme Court. A decision is expected shortly.
In Cork, Indaver has received planning permission and a licence from the EPA for a hazardous waste incinerator in Ringaskiddy, but construction could be delayed if objectors take court proceedings.
Indaver also plans to build a municipal waste incinerator, like the one in Duleek, at Ringaskiddy.
Mr Ahern said it would probably be another year before the company sought planning permission for that facility.
“We don’t have plans to increase its capacity from 100,000 tonnes a year either,” Mr Ahern said.
Meanwhile, a company which plans to build a controversial €75 million organic waste disposal centre in Ballard, Araglin is planning to hold a second public consultation.
Valeco Ltd, the wholly-owned subsidiary of waste management company Greenstar, will hold an information session on the anaerobic digestion facility proposed for Ballard, Co Cork, on Thursday 12th January, from 7pm to 9pm, in the Firgrove Hotel, Mitchelstown.