Boy who got brain-eating disease from lake dies

A teenager from Texas who contracted a brain-eating disease after swimming in a lake about 110km north of Houston has died .

Michael Riley Jr, 14, a junior Olympian, seemed to have contracted the rare disease after he went swimming on August 13 with his track team, his father Mike Riley told KTRK earlier this week.

“It is with a heavy heart, that we let everyone know that Michael John Riley Jr lost his battle on this earth but won a victory for his place in the arms of our Lord Jesus Christ,” the family said in a statement on their Facebook page.

A spokeswoman for Texas Children’s Hospital, where Riley had been listed as a patient, declined to provide information, citing patient confidentiality.

The disease is caused by exposure to a single-celled organism known as Naegleria fowleri, often referred to as the brain-eating amoeba.

It is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers and hot springs, as well as soil.

It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose, according to the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

Contracting the brain disease is rare, it said.

The organism is most commonly encountered in the southern US during the summer, when temperatures are highest, the CDC said.


Lifestyle

As David Attenborough announces new series on plants, we run down some of the weird and wonderful vegetation he might include.11 bizarre plant species from around the world

The weather’s always going to be a key factor on any wedding day — but especially so when the bride works for Met Éireann, writes Eve Kelliher.Wedding of the week: Bride and groom are literally on cloud nine

My wife and I are in our fifties and she has just started using porn. She thinks it will enhance our sex life if we watch it together, but I find the idea a total turn-off.Suzi Godson's Sex Advice: My wife wants us to watch porn together?

As you probably have heard by now, changes to the rules concerning gift vouchers in Ireland came into effect earlier this month, giving consumers more rights when it comes to these popular items.Making Cents: Play your cards right when giving gift vouchers this Christmas

More From The Irish Examiner