Hoarder pinned under household junk in Canada

A man in his 70s was severely dehydrated after being pinned for several days under debris in his home that had piled up almost to the ceiling.

A man in his 70s was severely dehydrated after being pinned for several days under debris in his home that had piled up almost to the ceiling.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said a man called to report that he had not seen his friend in several days.

Police found the doorway and halls of the suburban Vancouver home so choked with junk that the fire department was called to clear a path inside.

Crews had to break down the door and chainsaw through rubbish to reach the man. Police say there was no heat and electricity, and the man was severely dehydrated.

He is being treated for possible circulation problems.

"Had it been another day or two, with our cold temperatures, the outcome may have not been as good as it was," assistant fire chief Greg Mervin said.

The incident required more emergency workers than for a typical rescue, he said, adding city enforcement officers had previously been called to the same home following complaints from neighbours about the junk piling up on the outside of his property.

The fire brigade said it came across dangerous hoarding situations a few times a year.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox