A Pakistani man was convicted today of gunning down dozens of people during the November 2008 terrorist attack in Mumbai.
Mohammed Ajmal Kasab is the lone survivor out of 10 gunmen who killed 166 people in the three-day rampage.
Prosecutors said he and an accomplice killed 58 people and wounded 104 others at one of Mumbai’s busiest railway stations.
Judge ML Tahiliyani acquitted two Indians who had been accused of helping plot the attacks.
India blames a Pakistan-based militant group, Lashkar-e-Taiba, for the attack.
Sentencing was set for tomorrow, when Kasab faces a possible death penalty.
In his verdict, the judge said Kasab was a member of Lashkar-e-Taiba.
The evidence against Kasab included footage from closed circuit cameras sited in and around the train station and the testimony of more than 600 witnesses.
The trial was conducted in four languages in a special court in Mumbai’s high security Arthur Road jail, where Kasab was held since his arrest. He was arrested on the first night of the siege.
On Monday, security at the prison and the surrounding areas was exceptionally tight, with armed police and paramilitary troops on alert.
Despite its complexity, the trial lasted only about a year. This was unusually quick for India’s notoriously slow judicial system.
One of the memorable moments in the trial came in July, when Kasab made a surprise confession and admitted to committing the killings. He later retracted that statement and claimed he had been tortured.
The attacks and subsequent investigation have added pressure to the already tense relationship between India and Pakistan.