An Italian newspaper reporter, held captive in Iraq for a month after being abducted in a Baghdad street, was released today.
Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs Margherita Boniver said the release of Giuliana Sgrena was confirmed “100%”.
She said the reporter with Il Manifesto newspaper was expected to be back in Rome tonight.
Arabic television station Al Jazeera said 57-year-old Sgrena had been released in Baghdad.
She was kidnapped on February 4 as she conducted interviews on a street near Baghdad University. Almost two weeks later she appeared in a video pleading for her life and urging US led forces to quit Iraq.
Sobbing, Sgrena begged her family to put pressure on the Italian government to secure her release and warned foreigners to steer clear of the country.