€1.4m claim for death after shower scalding at Edinburgh Premier Inn

Relatives of a holidaymaker who died after being scalded in a hotel shower are seeking damages in excess of £1m from the hotel chain.
€1.4m claim for death after shower scalding at Edinburgh Premier Inn

Tourist Kalyani Uthaman, 59, from India, was on holiday in Scotland in August 2012 when she was scalded at the Premier Inn at Newcraighall, Edinburgh.

She reportedly died of multiple organ failure six weeks after the incident.

Her family has now lodged a legal action at Scotland’s highest civil court, the Court of Session in Edinburgh, where they are seeking more than £1mn from the hotel chain’s operators.

Mrs Uthaman’s son, 44-year-old Sundar Vadivel Uthaman, said it has been a very difficult time for the family.

Mr Uthaman, from Bangalore, told BBC Scotland: “It is an irreparable loss given the love and affection she had for us and we had for her.

“It was something none of us expected would ever happen in a very safe country like the UK.”

A spokeswoman for Premier Inn said: “This is a very sad incident. Our thoughts are with the family of Ms Uthaman during what must have been, and which must remain, an extremely difficult period for them.

“We have worked closely with and supported the relevant authorities with their inquiries around this case.”

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox