Jaden Umeh likely to leave Cork City in upcoming transfer window admits Tim Clancy
ON THE MOVE?: Jaden Umeh looks set to leave Cork City in the near future. Photo by Tyler Miller/Sportsfile
Cork City manager Tim Clancy has confirmed the injury suffered by Jaden Umeh in their draw with Treaty United is not as bad as first feared before admitting the talented young attacker is likely to leave the club during the upcoming transfer window.
Umeh was taken off on a stretcher in City’s 1-1 draw with Treaty at Turner’s Cross last Friday night but only as a precaution and he could even return in time for this Friday’s trip to Athlone Town.
But the former Ringmahon Rangers winger has been heavily linked with a move to Benfica amongst other European clubs following his 16th birthday in March and Clancy has suggested he is likely to move to the continent in the near future rather than wait until he is 18 when he could move to the United Kingdom like his older brother; Franco.
“Jaden got a knock on his knee; I don’t think there is anything really badly damaged. We would like to hope that he will be available for Friday,” began Clancy.
“It was just a knock he got; he had his leg planted when the fella came in the side of him. It looks like there is no serious issue.
“On the pitch he said he was ok to walk off but the fact that the stretcher was on the pitch the ref said he was better off getting on it. He looks good.
“It’s a lot longer for Jaden to sit tight for the UK market so I would imagine Jaden will probably get a move in the upcoming window.
“He has been outstanding for us as well. When you realise, he’s only 16 it’s ridiculous how good he is for that age. We’d like to keep them in the first team here, we want to develop them, win things, be successful at the club.
“You have to accept that players are going to have ambitions to play in the UK or further afield.”
Read More
Clancy also confirmed that Cathal O’Sullivan will be out of action until the end of June with a knee injury, but he does expect the highly rated playmaker to remain at the club until next year when he can move to the UK after his 18th birthday next March.
“We were doing a crossing and finishing drill last week, it was the way a ball was crossed in he tried to open his foot up and it caught the end of his toe and sort of jarred his knee,” added Clancy.
“We are probably looking at Cathal just after the break to be available so he will probably miss the next couple of games and then we are hoping he will be back for the game at the end of June.
“There’s no real issue, he just needs a few weeks off his feet is all. It’s the knee he had issues with last year so it probably was a scare at the start but he’s fine, he’s walking freely and pain free.”
A collection of the latest sports news, reports and analysis from Cork.



