Mourinho confident despite second slip

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho is confident his side will progress to the knock-out round of the Champions League despite their failure to win a game so far in the competition.

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho is confident his side will progress to the knock-out round of the Champions League despite their failure to win a game so far in the competition.

The Nerazzurri were held 1-1 at Rubin Kazan yesterday, a result that followed their goalless draw against Barcelona in their Group F opener.

The outcome has left Inter third in the standings, two points behind leaders Barcelona.

“If we win our two home games against Rubin Kazan and Dynamo Kiev we will qualify,” said Mourinho.

“There are still four games left to play.”

Dejan Stankovic’s 30th-minute equaliser cancelled out Alejandro Gonzalez’s opener for the hosts.

Inter made things harder for themselves when Mario Balotelli was sent off with 30 minutes remaining and the Nerazzurri were forced to defend in order to hold on for a point.

“We could have lost this match but considering how the game developed, I believe this result is a positive one,” said Mourinho.

“Rubin played well.

“They pressed, they had a big incentive as they were playing at home and were making their debut in their own stadium in this competition.

“I prefer to talk about the efforts of my team rather than certain individuals.

“I already spoke to Balotelli and told him what I needed to tell him.”

Inter host Dynamo Kiev on October 20.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox