Blackburn approach Wales for Hughes
The Football Association of Wales today confirmed they have received an approach for Mark Hughes from Blackburn.
The Wales boss yesterday revealed, via his representative, that he is keen to return to Ewood Park where he spent two years as a player and succeed Graeme Souness, who left to take charge at Newcastle.
Wales narrowly missed out on making it to Euro 2004 in Portugal this summer and still have hopes of qualifying from the same group as England – who they play next on October 9 – for the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.
However, whether Hughes will still be in charge remains to be seen after Rovers indicated the 40-year-old former Manchester United striker is their first choice to succeed Souness.
Hughes’ representative Dennis Roach told the Press Association yesterday: “Mark had two great years at Ewood Park as a player so Blackburn is a club which is close to his heart, and therefore this is the kind of job that would interest him.”
FAW general secretary David Collins confirmed the approach for Hughes had been made.
He said: “We will now hold a meeting of senior officers to consider our reaction.”
However, it would appear Wales could soon be starting the search for a new manager as it looks highly likely Hughes will be allowed to break his contract with two years still to run.
The most pressing concern is whether Wales will still want Hughes in charge for the two World Cup Group Six qualifiers next month against England and Poland.
It is reported Blackburn would be happy to allow Hughes to take control of the games on October 9 at Old Trafford and in Cardiff on October 13.
The final decision will be taken by a select band of senior FAW officials, led by Collins. At today’s meeting in Cardiff were vice-president Peter Rees, treasurer Idwal Williams, chairman of the management committee Ken Tucker and president Tegwyn Evans.
Hughes technically does not have a release agreement in his contract but there is a buy-out clause which means someone – either Hughes or Blackburn – would have to pay compensation, and that gives the FAW room for negotiation.
Hughes would be expected to take coach Mark Bowen with him to Ewood Park. The former Norwich and West Ham defender has only recently left Birmingham where he was Steve Bruce’s first-team coach.
But there is the prospect that Eddie Niedzwiecki, Hughes’ other coach and Arsenal’s reserve team boss, could be asked to step in as caretaker for the matches against England and Poland to maintain some continuity.




