Division Two: Plymouth go five clear

Plymouth restored their five-point cushion at the top of Division Two after a 2-1 win over fourth-placed, 10-man Swindon.

Plymouth restored their five-point cushion at the top of Division Two after a 2-1 win over fourth-placed, 10-man Swindon.

Bristol City’s win over Rushden on Friday had cut Argyle’s advantage but less than 24 hours later the situation returned to normal as Marino Keith (11 minutes) and Micky Evans (84) put the Pilgrims into an unassailable lead.

Andrew Gurney’s sending off 15 minutes from time had not helped Swindon but Tommy Mooney at least salvaged some pride with a last-minute strike.

QPR’s 4-1 win at Hartlepool kept them third as Paul Furlong’s double (48 & 74) sandwiched Kevin Gallen’s goal before Martin Rowlands made the result safe ahead of Joel Porter’s consolation.

Brighton missed the chance to go level on points with Swindon after being held to a 1-1 draw at Port Vale, where Leon Knight’s 11th-minute penalty was cancelled out by Billy Paynter (26).

Luton overtook Pools courtesy of a 3-2 win at home against Blackpool. Emmerson Boyce’s goal had given the Hatters a half-time lead and when Peter Holmes (66) doubled the advantage the hosts looked comfortable.

However, Tony Dinning (69) pulled a goal back from the penalty spot and even when Enoch Showunmi (74) added a third for Luton the result was still in doubt as Matthew Blinkhorn scored the Seasiders’ second three minutes later.

A Paul Warhurst own goal 17 minutes from time saw Bournemouth scrape a point with a 1-1 draw at Grimsby after Jonathan Rowan had given the Mariners an 11th-minute lead.

Struggling Peterborough improved their goal difference with a 6-1 home win over Wrexham after the visitors had taken a 21st-minute lead through Chris Llewellyn.

Calum Willock and Clive Platt turned things around before half-time and after the break Willock, Sagi Burton, Andy Clarke and Dave Farrell ran in the goals.

Nathan Tyson’s 78th-minute strike snatched a 1-1 draw for bottom side Wycombe at home to Notts County, who led through Paul Heffernan (17).

A 2-0 win for Stockport at Brentford boosted County’s survival hopes after Richard Lambert’s penalty (56) and Chris Williams (85) secured three points.

Chesterfield put daylight between themselves and the relegation zone after a late rally earned them a 3-2 win at FA Cup quarter-finalists Tranmere.

The Spireites led at the interval through Glynn Hurst’s goal but two goals in 10 minutes from Iain Hume (63 & 73) put the home side in the ascendancy until a Gary Jones own goal levelled things up and Hurst grabbed the winner four minutes from time.

A double from Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu (36 & 56) helped Sheffield Wednesday to a 2-1 victory, as South Yorkshire rivals Barnsley failed to capitalise on Robbie Williams’ goal 16 minutes from time.

Oldham and Colchester finished goalless.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox

Execution Time: 0.212 s