Extra-time goal puts Tranmere through - report

Bolton 1 Tranmere 2

Bolton 1 Tranmere 2

Iain Hume raised his profile a notch or two by scoring a wonder goal tonight to steer Second Division Tranmere into the fourth round of the FA Cup at the expense of Barclaycard Premiership Bolton.

The 20-year-old striker grabbed the winner in the first minute of extra-time with a blistering run and finish.

It is little wonder Edinburgh-born Canadian Hume was delighted at the end of this replay – because he had missed a clear chance late on at Prenton Park to clinch victory at the first time of asking.

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce made 10 changes to the side which defeated Blackburn in the Premiership at the weekend.

Only midfielder Per Frandsen retained his place in the starting line-up against Rovers.

Allardyce’s bright young things performed admirably – but Tranmere were just a bit too street wise for them.

Bolton had the best of a poor first half, and Anthony Barness found space after only two minutes only to fire wide.

Ricardo Vaz Te then picked out Mario Jardel, but his weak shot failed to trouble goalkeeper John Achterberg.

Tranmere were slowly coming into the game and carved out a good chance in the 16th minute.

Eugene Dadi headed a cross from Gareth Roberts back across the face of the goal, but Danny Harrison’s effort went narrowly wide.

Bolton responded, and Henrik Pedersen rattled in a shot which was deflected to safety.

Tranmere goalkeeper Achterberg had his hands stung in the 28th minute by a piledriver from Stelios Giannakopoulos after he was released by Pedersen.

Senior pros Frandsen and Giannakopoulos were working hard in the middle of the park to try and break down the visitors.

Jardel was showing some nice touches too. But that was about all – and Tranmere looked quite comfortable.

Pedersen almost made the breakthrough in stoppage time, but his shot came back off the post.

Jardel was replaced at the start of the second half by Kevin Nolan, who had scored twice against Blackburn.

The decision to take off the former Golden Boot winner will raise further questions about his long-term future at the club.

Jardel has been struggling with a hamstring injury but he got a game tonight only because on-loan striker Javi Moreno was ineligible.

Tranmere began to dictate the pace, and Dadi got on the end of a ball from Ryan Taylor after 53 minutes – only for his touch to let him down in the area.

Bolton were looking a bit uneasy but broke forward in the 58th minute when Giannakopoulos picked out Barness – but his shot cleared the bar.

Vaz Te, who was growing in confidence, released Nolan 25 yards out – and his powerful shot went narrowly wide.

Tranmere hit back, and Harrison found himself in space after 70 minutes only to hook a shot over the bar following a corner from Micky Mellon.

Bolton boss Allardyce decided to make another change in the 79th minute, bringing on Cleveland Taylor for the ineffective Delroy Facey.

Dadi made the breakthrough for Tranmere in the 82nd minute when he took advantage of some poor defending to prod the ball home following a cross from Roberts.

But Bolton equalised in stoppage time when substitute Ricky Shakes smashed the ball in from distance via a deflection from defender Graham Allen.

Tranmere needed only one minute of extra-time to grab the winner through Hume’s excellent effort.

Bolton were getting frustrated, and a brief scuffle broke out at the corner flag.

Then Pedersen should have pulled Bolton level but headed wide before Tranmere completed another fine cup victory.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox