The 22-year-old German has already taken the shirt, having obtained the agreement of manager Jurgen Klopp, and he wants the position which goes with it.
Mignolet’s position as first-choice has not been threatened since arriving three years ago despite a number of unconvincing performances.
However, that is about to change.
“I wouldn’t make the move otherwise if I thought I was just going to sit on the bench,” said the former Mainz player, who has signed a five-year contract after completing a £4.7m move (€6.1m).
“I want to play and I feel like I will be able to do that if I do well in training and pre-season and the pre-season games.
“I’m confident. I’ve played almost 100 league games in Germany, so I’m young but I’m experienced. I’m not afraid of anything.
“I want to be in goal and play for Liverpool every week and then win a trophy with the club, that’s what everyone wants. I want to do my part and help.”
The goalkeeper is Klopp’s third signing since taking over in October, having secured deals in January for Schalke centre-back Joel Matip and Red Star Belgrade midfielder Marko Grujic to join this summer, and the second time he has returned to his homeland to secure a target.
“I am delighted we have signed Loris, he has had a fantastic season with Mainz and has developed into a very good goalkeeper,” Klopp said.
“I am really pleased that we were able to move so quickly to get him and that Loris has shown such a desire to come to Liverpool with a lot of other clubs interested in him.
“I know he will add to the quality we have in this position and I look forward to working with him and all our players when we return for pre-season.”
Next on Liverpool’s list of targets is Leicester left-back Ben Chilwell, for whom they are prepared to offer £4m (€5.2m) up front with some add-ons.
The 19-year-old had a spell at Huddersfield before returning to the King Power where he played just two FA Cup matches in January as he could not displace Christian Fuchs from the title-winning Foxes side.
Klopp is in need of reinforcements in defence as left-back Alberto Moreno’s Jekyll and Hyde season, which concluded with a dreadful performance in last week’s Europa League final defeat to Sevilla, has put his long-term future in doubt while Martin Skrtel looks set to depart with Besiktas currently leading the race for the centre-back.
Kolo Toure, whose current deal expires next month, could yet earn a new short-term contract should Mamadou Sakho’s failed drugs test lead to a lengthy ban. However, promising Spanish midfielder Sergi Canos, who impressed on loan at Brentford this season and was handed his Liverpool debut in their penultimate match of the campaign, seems destined to leave this summer.
It is understood the 19-year-old has told the club he wants to leave after contract negotiations hit an impasse and, while there has been considerable interest from clubs in Portugal, the player is keen for a permanent move to London with Watford and QPR potential destinations.
Meanwhile, Rangers have confirmed the signing of Joey Barton after the former England midfielder successfully passed a medical.
The 33-year-old will officially join the club on July 1 after penning a initial two-year deal.
Barton was a free agent after leaving Championship winners Burnley.