Daryl Horgan brace delivers another Dundalk win

Bohemians 0 Dundalk 2: A brace from Daryl Horgan gave table-toppers Dundalk the points from this keenly-contested encounter at Dalymount Park against a Bohemians side who have now lost three league games on the trot.

Daryl Horgan brace delivers another Dundalk win

Horgan’s free kick set Dundalk on their way on 38 minutes before his header went in off Bohs goalkeeper Dean Delany for the second goal on 67 minutes.

The crowd of 2,015 saw the home side begin the first half defending the traditional tramway end of Dalymount Park with the low setting sun causing trouble as it blazed into the eyes of Delany. Delany coped well though and made good earlier interventions to deny David McMillan on 90 seconds and then Robbie Benson on five minutes. Dundalk kept up the pressure and Dane Massey was unlucky with his header that went over the bar when under pressure on 19 minutes.

Bohs had been hammered 4-0 by Shamrock Rovers in their last home league game in Dalymount, which was followed by away losses to Shelbourne in the EA Sports Cup and Derry City in the league. They were much improved here though and always looked dangerous. Indeed Derek Prendergast had a chance to open the scoring on 27 minutes when he was first to Lorcan Fitzgerald’s corner at the near post but Gary Rogers saved his header.

On 32 minutes Horgan made a wonderful run along the wing and squared a low cross into the penalty area but his team mates hadn’t acted as quickly. With no one there to meet the ball, Prendergast cleared the ball unchallenged.

Dundalk took the lead on 38 minutes. Ronan Finn was pulled down by Dave Mulcahy as he burst through on goal. Mulcahy and Bohs feared the worst but to the surprise of the Dundalk players and fans referee Robert Harvey showed Mulcahy only a yellow card. From the resulting free kick Horgan whipped the ball around the Bohs wall and past Delany at his left hand post.

Bohs started the second half well and were very creative in their play but were let down by some poor concentration at times as well as some bad luck. Kurtis Byrne, who scored a hat-trick for Bohs when they knocked Dundalk out of the Leinster Senior Cup at this venue at the start of the month, exchanged passes with Keith Buckley on 58 minutes. Buckley’s return though, had too much weight on it and the ball sailed away from Byrne with Dundalk clearing the danger.

Dundalk went 2-0 ahead on 67 minutes when Horgan’s header took a deflection off Delany and hit the back of the net after a scramble in the goalmouth that followed Horgan’s initial cross being sent back across the face of goal by John Mountney.

Dundalk had a great chance to increase their lead on 81 minutes when McMillan passed to Horgan on the edge of the penalty area and raced forward for the return. Horgan responded with what looked like a perfect pin point cross but McMillan was stopped in his tracks by the offside flag.


Delany; Pender, Prendergast, Mulcahy, Fitzgerald; Kavanagh (Quigley 72 mins), Buckley, D Byrne (Murphy 84 mins), Lopes (Kelly 72 mins); K Byrne, Ben Mohamed.


Rogers; Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey; Shields; Meenan (Mountney 61 mins), Finn, Benson (Barrett 86 mins), Horgan; McMillan (O’Connor 89 mins).


Robert Harvey (Dublin).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox