Seven up for Cork City as Waterford collapse

Cork City 7 Waterford United 0: Cork City went goal crazy at Turner’s Cross last night as they banged seven second-half goals past a hapless Waterford United outfit to book their place in the third round of the EA Sports Cup.

Seven up for Cork City as Waterford collapse

Roddy Collins’ Waterford kept the hosts scoreless for the opening 45 minutes but once Danny Morrissey scored the opener two minutes into the second-half, the floodgates opened and Collins’ young Blues collapsed as City ran riot. Both managers rang the changes with John Caulfield making nine changes to the side that drew 2-2 in Galway and Collins starting only four players from the team that lost 4-1 to Shelbourne at the RSC.

It could have been much worse for Waterford had referee Anthony Buttimer awarded what looked a blatant penalty in the fifth minute but the Cork official controversially booked Ian Turner for diving when it looked like the City winger was brought down in full flight by keeper Corey Chambers, who would also have had to be sent off.

City keeper Alan Smith had to be quick off his line to deny Robert Buckley in the 8th minute after a mistake by Eoghan O’Connell as Waterford threatened an unlikely opener.

However, the home side bossed possession without creating much in the way of genuine goal scoring opportunities and the closest they came to scoring in a poor first-half was when Mark O’Sullivan’s deflected shot was well saved by Chambers in the 32nd minute. Just before that, The Blues’ Darren Murphy went close with a free-kick from 30 yards which flew narrowly over Smith’s crossbar.

Caulfield must have had a few choice words to say to his team at half-time as they quickly found their scoring boots.

Morrissey broke the deadlock two minutes in when he headed home Kevin O’Connor’s free-kick before Turner made it 2-0 two minutes later when he finished well from inside the box after great work down the left from Maguire.

Waterford failed to deal with Magure’s cross in the 55th minute and Gavan Holohan arrived from midfield to shoot home before Gearóid Morrissey fired home number four three minutes later as the Blues again couldn’t clear their lines.

After doing well in the first-half, the visitors were now struggling as City went for the jugular and Mark O’Sullivan got in on the act in the 61st minute after Turner set him .up

Sub Conor McCarthy headed home Turner’s corner kick for number six in the 71st minute before O’Sullivan tapped home his second and City’s seventh a minute later.

Waterford should have been awarded a consolation penalty when Smith bundled over Tunmise Sobowale but Buttimer waved appeals away.


Smith, McSweeney, O’Connell, Healy, O’Connor; D Morrissey (Sheppard 65), Holohan, G Morrissey (Donnellan 58), Turner, Maguire (McCarthy 58), O’Sullivan.


Chambers, Reidy, Butler, Mackey, Dermody, Buckley (Mooney 56), O’Leary (Sobowale 45), Murphy, O’Connor, McAlavey (Nugent 45), Broaders.


A Buttimer (Cork).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox