Dundalk in control as City misfire

Dundalk 2 Cork City 0

Dundalk in control as City misfire

Stephen Kenny’s side have been one of the surprise packets of the season to date, with the top two of Sligo Rovers and Derry City the only teams to have got the better of them this season.

Much of the form that took them to fourth in the table before kick-off was displayed on the road though, with their home form reading three draws and two defeats.

Coming into the game, Cork had a similar record, having not won on the road and for a long time it looked like neither side would break that run.

However, up popped Mountney – who only returned to the side in place of the suspended John Dillon – with a spectacular goal 14 minutes from time to put the border side in the driving seat.

Substitute Hoban then made sure of the win on the 90th minute mark to help the Louth men continue their push for European football.

Richie Towell was unlucky not to break the deadlock on eight minutes when his shot from the left was just inches wide. Vinny Faherty then squandered a three chances midway through the half – firing straight at Mark McNulty on 27 minutes before heading over and looping over with two close range efforts.

Towell then had the ball in the net in the 39th minute but it was ruled out for offside by assistant referee Reuben McManus despite TV replays suggesting that the midfielder was, in fact, onside.

Dundalk continued to apply pressure on the restart with captain Stephen O’Donnell heading inches over before Tiarnan Mulvenna pulled a good chance just wide on 70 minutes after racing onto John Sullivan’s ball out of defence.

The breakthrough finally arrived six minutes later, however, when a quick throw by Sullivan was latched onto by Mountney, with his first time left-footed effort looping high into the top left hand corner, giving McNulty no chance.

With Tommy Dunne’s visitors having failed to create a major chance of note prior to that, Dundalk always looked comfortable and were unlucky not to add to their advantage two minutes later when Hoban found space on the left only to slightly overcook his pass inside to an unmarked Mulvenna.

The game was put firmly beyond doubt in the 90th minute, however, when Cork failed to properly deal with Ward’s free kick and they were punished for failing to clear when Hoban head home into the bottom right hand corner to claim a deserved victory for his side.

DUNDALK: Cherrie; Sullivan, Rossiter, Boyle, Massey; Mountney (Meenan, 82), O’Donnell, Towell, Ward; Mulvenna (Byrne, 87), Faherty (Hoban, 68). Subs not used:Osborne, McDonnell, O’Connor, Shanahan.

CORK CITY: McNulty; N Horgan (Rundle, 82), Healy, Buckley,Murphy; Turner, G Morrissey, Duggan, D Horgan; D Kavanagh (D Morrissey, 82), Furlong (Behan, 65). Subs not used: Burns, Spillane, Kenny, J Kavanagh.

Referee: P Tuite (Dublin).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox