Derry cut gap on leaders


Derry cut gap on leaders

A pair of clinically taken goals in each half exposed Bohemians’ defensive frailties as Declan Devine’s side ran out comfortable winners.

In front of President Michael D Higgins, making one of his regular visits to domestic football action, Bohs started confidently, with full-back Luke Byrne causing Derry problems.

Byrne had an early shout for a penalty waved away before he put Ciaran Nangle in on goal to flash a fiercely struck shot wide across goal.

It was a bright start by the home side that was soon abruptly deflated as Derry snatched a 13th minute lead.

Out of nothing, Paddy McEleney cut in from the left wing and unleashed a shot from 25 yards that flew over Dean Delany to bounce down over the goal line off the underside of the crossbar.

Derry doubled their lead on 26 minutes. Nangle allowed Ruaidhri Higgins’s ball down the line to go under his foot, with the bumpy pitch possibly to blame. Right-back Simon Madden was there on the overlap to cross low into the area where Michael Rafter shot past Delany.

It might have been three a couple of minutes later as the negligently marked Higgins headed over at the back post from Barry McNamee’s corner.

Dave Mulcahy relieved the pressure on Bohemians with their first shot on target, if straight at Doherty, on 31 minutes.

Four minutes later Derry were back with Madden again causing problems down the right when working Delany with an angled drive.

With Keith Buckley on at the break, Bohemians’ manager Aaron Callaghan pushed Kevin Devaney up front as they chased the game.

A shout for a penalty for a handball by Barry Molloy fell on deaf ears while Roberto Lopes then brought a save from Doherty.

But Derry remained dangerous on the counter-attack and almost went further ahead ten minutes in.

McNamee’s shot came off defender Stephen Paisley and Delaney reacted well to parry away a snap shot from Rafter.

The lively McName was then instrumental in Derry’s third killer goal on 75 minutes. His shot was cleared off the line by Ryan McEvoy and central defender Ryan McBride headed the rebound to the corner of the net.

Two minutes later McNamee raced clear to slide home the fourth.

BOHEMIANS: Delany; Pender, Lopes, Paisley, Byrne; Devaney, Mulcahy, McEvoy, Nangle (Moore, 76 mins.); Traynor (Buckley, h/t), Scully.

DERRY CITY: Doherty; Madden, McBride, S. McEleney, Crawley (McCaffrey, 83 mins.); Kavanagh (Duffy, 78 mins.), Molloy, Higgins, P. McEleney; B. McNamee; Rafter (Griffin, 79 mins..

Referee: Anthony Buttimer (Cork).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox