McLaughlin fires Derry into cup final

Shelbourne 0 Derry City 3

McLaughlin fires Derry into cup final

David McDaid maintained his scoring run with the third goal — his fifth in the competition this season — as Derry advanced to the final to face St Patrick’s Athletic at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday, November 4.

The win was no more than Derry deserved as a disjointed Shelbourne rarely played with any fluency and can have no complaints.

Feeling they’d let Shelbourne off the hook in the second half of Sunday’s first game, Derry started this replay more purposefully, even though they failed to work Chris Bennion early on.

However, it was Shelbourne’s long ball approach that carved the game’s first opening on 22 minutes.

The hardworking Philly Hughes’s initial cross from the left wasn’t dealt with and Paddy Kavanagh’s pull-back was fired narrowly wide by the in-rushing Kevin Dawson.

Struggling defensively, Derry almost conceded on the half-hour. Keeper Ger Doherty first had to show his agility to touch a David Cassidy corner out for another one on the opposite side.

Paddy McEleney was then well-placed on a post to clear Stephen Paisley’s header off the line from another Cassidy delivery.

A ball over the top from Paisley minutes later had Derry in disarray at the back as Dawson drilled a shot off a post, with the ball scrambled away for another Shelbourne corner.

A switch to a 4-4-2 with Paddy McEleney pushed up front with McDaid gave Derry added impetus in attack and it brought them the lead by the break.

Right-back Simon Madden showed his attacking quality, skipping between two defenders before his low cross was turned home by McLaughlin.

Shelbourne came out and pressed initially in chasing the game only to be stunned by McLaughlin’s second goal 17 minutes in.

Racing down the line on to Stewart Greacen’s ball behind the out of position Sean Byrne, McLaughlin cut between two defenders before unleashing a left-foot shot that arrowed into the top corner of the net.

It was all over for Shelbourne six minutes later when McDaid latched on to Barry Molloy’s ball over the top to round Bennion and score.

SHELBOURNE: Bennion; Ryan, Boyle, Paisley, S. Byrne; Cassidy (C Byrne 83), Cronin, Dawson, Kavanagh; Hughes, P Byrne (Gorman 67).

DERRY CITY: Doherty; Madden, Greacen, S McEleney, McCaffrey; P McEleney, Molloy, Deery (Brolly 86), McLaughlin; McNamee (Higgins 68); McDaid.

Referee: Anthony Buttimer (Cork).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox