Cherries leave Rovers red-faced

MARK HUGHES found out how tough club management can be as his Blackburn side were dumped out of the Carling Cup by Bournemouth last night.

League One Bournemouth stunned their Premiership hosts as they won 7-6 on penalties after forcing a 3-3 draw in extra-time.

Rovers began well with an early goal from Brett Emerton but the Cherries levelled through Garreth O’Connor, and Carl Broadhurst thought he had won it eight minutes from time.

It took a 90th-minute equaliser from substitute Morten Gamst Pedersen to spare Rovers defeat in normal time and Paul Gallagher looked to have restored order a minute after the restart.

But the Cherries made it 3-3 after 115 minutes through John Spicer, before Eddie Howe netted the crucial spot-kick.

Everton were also taken to penalties but scraped past Bristol City 4-3 on spot-kicks at Ashton Gate. David Moyes’ side looked to be cruising as Duncan Ferguson netted a first-half penalty and Nick Chadwick added a second before the break.

But City stunned the Premiership side with two goals in the second-half. Alan Stubbs put one through his own net on 50 minutes and Leroy Lita scored an equaliser two minutes later.

After extra-time, it came down to penalties but a Coles miss allowed Lee Carsley to send Everton through.

Steve Wigley enjoyed his first win as Southampton manager with a 3-0 win over Northampton at Sixfields. Kevin Phillips, David Prutton and Neil McCann were on target for the Saints.

Tottenham crushed Oldham 6-0 at Boundary Park. Freddie Kanoute opened the scoring in the 37th minute before Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe put Spurs into a comfortable lead after the break, followed by goals by Goran Bunjevcevic, Anthony Gardner and Kanoute.

Aston Villa advanced to the third round with a 3-1 win over QPR. Darius Vassell fired Villa in front after 29 minutes and Juan Pablo Angel added a second. QPR got back into the game when Kevin McLeod pounced on a defensive mix-up, but Solano sealed the win.

Fulham overpowered League Two Boston 4-1 at York Street. Tomasz Radzinski netted twice, and Steed Malbranque and Brian McBride were also on target. Lee Beevers headed the consolation.

Coventry overcame Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 at Highfield Road with a Michael Doyle effort on 36 minutes.

Nottingham Forest needed extra-time to see off Rotherham at the City Ground. Chris Sedgwick gave Rotherham an early lead but Forest replied when Gareth Taylor struck.

Taylor settled it when he made it 2-1 four minutes into the first additional period.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox