UCD halt 'hinch winning streak

Ballynahinch’s 10-match unbeaten run in Division 1B was ended by one of their chief rivals, UCD, this afternoon.

UCD halt 'hinch winning streak

Ballynahinch’s 10-match unbeaten run in Division 1B was ended by one of their chief rivals, UCD, this afternoon.

The students did all the damage in the first half at Ballymacarn Park, sending back-three colleagues Sam Coghlan Murray and Andrew Boyle through for tries.

Three penalties from out-half James Thornton widened the margin to 19-0 for half-time, and ‘Hinch, despite a solid all-round effort, were unable to get back in touch.

A well-taken try from out-half James Thompson, converted by Adam Craig, was the only response from Derek Suffern’s side who still top the table by four points.

Hot on their heels are Dublin University who warmed up for next Friday’s Colours clash with UCD by putting 42 points on beleaguered Ballymena.

Trinity took control in the second half having only been 13-5 ahead at the break. Ballymena’s only score of the game was a try from number 10 Martin Irwin.

The visitors ran in six tries in all with winger Niyi Adeolukan and flanker Pierce Dargan both scoring a brace, the former now boasting eight league tries in all.

Rob Keogh kicked a late levelling penalty as Blackrock College drew 23-all with visitors Belfast Harlequins at Stradbrook.

The centre was able to convert first half tries from Tom Kevany and Mike McKeever as ‘Rock led 14-13 at the break.

But Harlequins battled back to take a 20-17 advantage with Mark Kettyle (2) and Lawrence Babe registering tries.

Although Jonny Holmes’s 68th-minute penalty kept ‘Quins on course at 23-20, Keogh had the final say as Blackrock earned their second successive draw in the division.

Malone held on to record their second successive league victory as they came out on top away to Bruff - winning 21-17.

Twice in this game at Kilballyowen Park, the Belfast club were reduced to 14 players but a terrific first half effort, during which they scored three converted tries, stood to them.

Mark Gribben was first on the scoresheet with his try after eight minutes and Taylor Acheson and flanker Niall Shannon also crossed with Josh Pentland converting all three.

Bruff staged a strong second half comeback which fell just short. Mark Cosgrave chased a kick from Brian Cahill and got in for a try and Michael Carroll and John Moore also crossed the visitors’ whitewash.

Cahill managed to convert Moore’s score after he had slipped when trying to add the extras to Carroll's try.

Buccaneers recorded their first win in three league matches as they squeezed home in dramatic fashion at Stevenson Park, edging out Dungannon on a 24-22 scoreline.

Mark O’Shea’s late try for ‘Gannon closed the gap to two points but the subsequent conversion was missed as Buccs prevailed at the end of a closely-fought game.

Mark Jenkinson touched down in the opening minutes for the Tyrone men, but three penalties and a drop goal from out-half Jack Carty had the Pirates 12-10 ahead at the interval.

The Athlone outfit pushed on in the third quarter with captain Kolo Kiripati and Callum Boland helping themselves to tries. However, Jaryd Bennett’s try from a charge down brought Dungannon back into contention.

Stuart McCloskey managed to add the extras to make it 24-17 and although replacement O’Shea notched a second try, the missed conversion allowed Buccs nab their seventh victory of the campaign.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox